1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! TROJAN VIRKEL! cannot run msconfig or regedit!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by helpmeverkler, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpmeverkler

helpmeverkler Thread Starter

HELP!!! I am a moderate computer user running firefox, avg, and spyware doctor, and my dumb 13 year old sister just downloaded some form of the virkel trojan. Every time I run HJT, msconfig, or regedit, it is closed within 3 seconds or less. I tried to save a scan log on HJT super fast but to no avail. THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF!!!!! I was spyware free till this happened!!! I would certainly appreciate some help here!! I have tried to remove it with ewido in safe mode, which also did not help! NOW it is closing firefox occasionally!!!

2. Sponsor

3. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

Rename HijackThis.exe to something like puppy.exe
    Run the program and post your log here

4. helpmeverkler

I did a lot of work and the trojan seems to be gone. I removed some registry keys and the main virus file and the two .com files, the virus is definately gone but it left behind some problems. If my dialup connection cuts off i cannot reconnect without restarting my computer, and sometimes programs freeze up and stop working, when they do task manager will run but only the tray icon appears. Fortunately this happens rarely, and i can fix it by ending the process with security task manager. It freezes up whenever a program trys to open another program I believe, because now i can't save HJT log even though I can run it. But, like I said, the virus itself is definately gone. Any suggestions?

5. Cheeseball81

Have you tried a System Restore

6. helpmeverkler

I haven't, but won't that bring back many viruses?

7. Cheeseball81

Not if you restore it back to a date when there were no viruses

8. helpmeverkler

Wow, what a mean virus. All my restore dates are gone except after the fact. It probably won't matter but I restored it one time to 3 pm today, after I got rid of the virus but not the problem, who knows, it might use a preset windows setting for a corrupted file.

9. helpmeverkler

10. Cheeseball81

Did you ever rename HijackThis and try to run it

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/582060