1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP trying to install harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by teine18, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teine18

teine18 Thread Starter

Okay I just hooked up this slave hard drive as an addition to my old hard drive for more disc space so now I have this issue with my installation disc. It says to leave in disc and restart computer. I'm working with xp 2000 system and when the computer reboots the disc doesn't automatically load and when i chose to run the a:/ drive it gives me an option to reformat which I don't want to do.

Please help.

Also I had the problem earlier with trying to install the cd rw but not enough ports. I do have another ribbon with the multiple hook ups for a slave drive however there are only 3 power cord hook ups. Do i need a power cord for the extra hard drive or can i use that for the cd burner without interfering with the functioning of the slave hard drive?

(I have 2 ports. One is being used for the hard drive and the other is connected to this power thingy in the front. I think its the USB port hood. Do I need that? or can I just hook up the burner?)

Thanks,
    Sina

2. codejockey

codejockey

Let's take it one at a time ...

(1) I take it that you can't boot from your CD-RW/CDROM drive. You may need to configure this in the BIOS (hit the DELETE key during startup) and change the boot order to specify CDROM first. You are likely to find the setting under the heading of "BIOS features" or similar.

(2) Every drive in your system needs power. If you do not have enough connections from your power supply, you can purchase a "Y" adapter that will split one connection into two, allowing you to connect an additional drive. Typically, these are less than $3.00 each.

Hope this helps.

3. mmmm

mmmm

I take it then your previous post is solved? If so please put a remark there so the admins can mark it as so...

If you want to keep your existing hard drive as is, and add a 2nd hard drive, you shouldn't need your xp installation disk. Very rarely is there any software needed to add a 2nd hard drive (some hard drives have a utility to load for older computers. Is this a Maxtor drive?).
    Usually, you leave your current hard drive as the Master, and plug in your new drive as the Slave. Remember, the SLAVE drive uses the MIDDLE connector on the ribbon cable, the MASTER drive uses the END connector. Yes, Each drive requires power, purchase a Y adapter as previously recommended if you need another power outlet. Remember also the change the Jumper Settings on each drive for Master or Slave. I would also recommend that your hard drives go on the Primary IDE controller, and your CDs go on the Secondary. Not necessary, but how I like to do it.
    If you only have 3 power connectors, then I'm assuming this is an old computer? The main thing to watch for here is that many old computers will not recognize large capacity hard drives. This is why most hard drives come with a floppy disk to load in this situation. If this is the case, then follow the instructions provided with the hard drive to load this floppy.
    If you have questions on Anything (such as jumper settings, etc), Please ASK! Don't just skip certain steps you have a question on.. It could be important and I'm sure everyone here would be glad to answer them.
    I hope this helps.

4. mmmm

mmmm

I just read your post again :p It sounds like your computer is not recognizing your floppy drive. Check your power connection and the ribbon connection to your floppy drive. When you try to go to a: do you hear the drive trying to respond?
    If you can boot up your computer normally with your main hard drive, try to put another floppy disk in the drive and see if it comes up.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/129216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice