1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!!! Trying to move files from old to new computer,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bully78, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bully78

bully78 Thread Starter

by null modem serial cable, using Windows XP File Transfer Wizard. I hook up the cable to each serial port, but they never communicate.:confused: I hope it doesn't take longer than about 10 minutes for the ports to communicate, because that's how long I waited before cancelling the process.:mad:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. bully78

bully78 Thread Starter

I really need some help.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It has been a long time since I used the Windows file transfer wizard and that was with a parallel port link. Not sure how much I can help other than maybe provide a link or two.

Did you follow all of the steps for a serial connection transfer listed here:

Moving files and settings to a new computer running Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/migrate.mspx

According to the instructions, some of the steps may take an hour to complete.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice