1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP uninstalling MS Office 97

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by TLudwig, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TLudwig

TLudwig Thread Starter

Hello

I am attempting to rid my system of MS Office 97 but since it was already on it I do not have the disk it asks for when I tried the add/remove. I have tried to search for instructions for a manual uninstall via Google but so far nothing, ditto with looking through MS's data base.

I do not use any components of Office (I use Jarte as my word processor) so I would like to have the space it occupies freed up on my HD.

If anyone can assist me in how to or where to find how to, it would be greatly appreciated.

My system is Win98SE.

Thank You

TL

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

3. TLudwig

TLudwig Thread Starter

Holy cow.

I read through the articles and followed up on the links about the software to DL and all that is entailed in trying to remove MSO97.

It appears that Office is deeply embedded in Windows. Unbelievable. I will have to think on this one. It looks rather daunting to me right now to attempt removing it. But it also has re-enforced me to wean and rid myself from as much MS based applications as I can. I am not fond of the fact my freedom of choice and HD space are limited and/or restricted in such instances. All other Office alternative applications I have read on gives the ability for a typical uninstall so it is aggravating it cannot be this way with MSO.

After I read and re-read I will make the attempt later this week and get back to you.

One thing I need more clarification on is the removal utility. It keeps referring to XP so until I learn more I am hesitant to try it on Win98SE.

The last thing I want are problems occuring that would make what is now a stable system into an unstable one. Something I am not that qualified and comfortable to troubleshoot incase that should occur.

TL

4. EAFiedler

It certainly does send you around in circles doesn't it?
    I do not blame you one bit for being cautious about that tool.

You might try just deleting the Microsoft Office folder to free up the harddrive space and leave the other files alone.
    <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Office

I found this utility, I have not tried it myself so I cannot comment on how well it goes.
    Your Uninstaller! 2004 3.9.517

This article which I am reposting from above, gives a pretty thorough listing of files to delete that may be leftover after an uninstall.
    OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97
    Just remember to Backup your Registry first!

5. rameam

rameam

6. EAFiedler

Which pretty much summarizes the information I already provided.
    Though it never hurts to have someone else verify the procedure. ;)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice