Help Unknown Problem!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

compaquser

I am having a problem with my computer. Sometimes it randomly freezes and everything locks up like my keyboard and mouse. I completly reinstalled Windows Xp to see if that would fix the problem but it did not. I checked for viruses and spyware but there weren't any. I also have a firewall. So I don't think it is software related problem. Sometimes when I restart my computer when it freezes the monitor has no power I see a yellow light and not the green light on the monitor. I think the problem is my graphics card. Can someone tell me if im wrong?

It could be any number of things. What is your system configuration?

When it locks up, does it shutdown, or does the screen freeze and you cannot do anything?

Have you installed any new hardware lately? Software?

Paul

If you don't get anything on your monitor when you turn your system on, you have a hardware problem. Yes, it could be the video card, but could also be the power supply, RAM, motherboard or CPU. Start checking things one at a time. Also make sure the inside of your case is clean and everything is fitting securely.

compaquser

norton850 said:
If you don't get anything on your monitor when you turn your system on, you have a hardware problem. Yes, it could be the video card, but could also be the power supply, RAM, motherboard or CPU. Start checking things one at a time. Also make sure the inside of your case is clean and everything is fitting securely.
What is my power supply? I think my motherboard is ok and I cleaned out my cpu. And I have 192 MB of Ram. That should be ok!

Your power supply in the small silver box inside your pc where the power cord comes into, it changes the 115vac coming out of your wall outlet into 12, 5, 3.3 volt dc for your pc to use. If it starts to go bad it can cause the types of symptoms you are describing

any faulty hardware could cause it too.... i once had a defective hard drive and would cuz my pc to randomly freeze up....so ya can start removing some hard to see if it still happens without it

compaquser

two1361 said:
any faulty hardware could cause it too.... i once had a defective hard drive and would cuz my pc to randomly freeze up....so ya can start removing some hard to see if it still happens without it
I don't think I have any faulty hardware I disconnected my cd burner and floppy drive but problem still occurs. I am thinking about buying a new video card any suggestions on which one to buy im looking for a cheap one that lasts long.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online