1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!! - unmountable boot volume - no command prompt

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by klad98, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. klad98

klad98 Thread Starter

Can anyone help - I have the "unmountable boot volume" message - referred to several help forums and the windows site and it said to run chkdsk in recovery - did that and I never got back to a comomand prompt - left it all night - no indication that the computer was even running check disk I restarted and hit f12 to get to the system setup

Now when I get into the recovery - no command prompt comes up at all

Any suggestions on my next steps -

Thanks so much -

2. Keywal

Keywal

3. bbearren

bbearren

To get into the Recovery Console, you have to boot from the XP CD, unless you have installed the Recovery Console on your hard drive.

Are you booting from the CD?

4. klad98

klad98 Thread Starter

I am booting from cd and get into recovery console, but after that I just have the black instruction screen and no command prompt, no cursor, nothing...

the first time I did and and I ran chkdsk /r, but nothing happened at all

5. Keywal

Keywal

If you dont want to waste too much time on this, may i suggest taking to hard drive out and connecting it to a different computer.. go through the folders and save what you want. your issue is not hardware based but soft, and when i get to the point of wasting time i REBUILD. save what you want then reformat and reinstall Windows,, you will no longer get that error.

6. helpful

helpful

Do you have a SATA or SCSI harddrive?

The Recovery Console needs a F6 disk for the sata/scsi controller drivers if they have not been included on the XP disc by your OEM.

7. Keywal

Keywal

No mate.... this error is a windows error nothing more.. its not depentant on drivers at this stage of the boot cycle.

8. klad98

klad98 Thread Starter

yikes - rebuild?? - no other options - do i have to take the hard drive out of the other computer to do this?

9. bbearren

bbearren

Are you being asked to enter the Administrator password?

10. Keywal

Keywal

NO.

But if you've got data to save then yes. put it in an enclosure and hook it up to a different machine. save your stuff then rebuild. :)

11. klad98

klad98 Thread Starter

it appears that I have a hard drive problem/possibly failure - found my dell diagnostics disk and my error messages were SATA ... timed out waiting for IRQ

failed several hard drive tests - any way to recover data from this drive before i replace it?

12. klad98

klad98 Thread Starter

after finally finding a dell diagnostics disk - it appears my hard drive has failed all error messages indicate "FAIL" - any possible way of recoevering data from it before i replace - have not backed up this month and there are some pics on it I really would like to recover

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863722