1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Unusual Repetative System Lock-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Emo-Panda, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Emo-Panda

Emo-Panda Thread Starter

I've trawled through the forums here and found similar problems but nothing thats quite the same, or that has the answers which I think I need! I'm very PC literate although a bit foggy sometimes when it comes to hardware...

THE PROBLEM -
    My system generally runs without a problem but in the past month or so it's developed a lock-up. The freeze only occurs whilst I am running a game, although it has occurred once whilst using a level editing program.
    The picture freezes and the sound enters a repetitive loop, mouse and keyboard are unresponsive and the only way to break free is to manually restart the pc by holding the power switch for 5 seconds... However this problem doesn't occur with all games, the main culprits are WH40K: Dawn Of War and C&C Generals. My specification as you can see below should easily run both games, AND has done perfectly in the past.

I have checked all of the obvious drivers are up to date and re-installed them, plus I have tried both original and updated versions of the games but this hasn't helped...

I did however notice something very odd, im detecting 2 CPUs and I only have ONE installed... Also under the device manager > Computer is 'Multiprocessor PC'..... My pc only has ONE processor, how on earth do I change that and could it be part of the problem?

SPECS -
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz (2 CPUs) <--- I only have ONE CPU is this normal to be detected like this???
    Mother Board: FOXCONN 865A01
    Memory: 512MB DDR RAM
    HDD: 120Gb (WDC WD1200JB-00DUA0) And 13Gb (SAMSUNG SV1363D)
    ***I use the 13Gb as a master and is my system disk EVERYTHING else goes onto the larger drive which running as a slave***
    DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
    3D CARD: RADEON 9600 AGP 256MB DDR
    SOUND: EITHER on-board audio Realtek AC97 Audio OR (When that is disabled) Creative Soundblaster Live!Platinum

If you need to know anything else or have any answers or possibilities please, please post. Thanx, Marc...

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. ccfilms

ccfilms

You gotta admit, if you didn't know about hyperthreading, you'd freak to at the sight of TWO processors when you only have one. lol. That is hilarious.

But yes, what he said is right. lol.

4. Emo-Panda

Emo-Panda Thread Starter

I've run the program and found the following results

IDLE STATUS.........................................
    Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F)
    CPU 41 °C (106 °F)
    Aux 49 °C (120 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 2557 RPM
    Chassis 2220 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.31 V
    CPU Aux 1.46 V
    +3.3 V 3.38 V
    +5 V 4.97 V
    +12 V 11.73 V
    -12 V -11.62 V
    -5 V -4.60 V
    +5 V Standby 5.02 V
    VBAT Battery 3.22 V
    Debug Info V 52 5B D3 B9 C1 28 3E 23 (01)
    Debug Info T 35 41 49

UNDER LOAD.....................................
    Sensor Properties:
    Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
    Motherboard 38 °C (100 °F)
    CPU 59 °C (135 °F)
    Aux 49 °C (120 °F)

Cooling Fans:
    CPU 2557 RPM
    Chassis 2192 RPM

Voltage Values:
    CPU Core 1.31 V
    CPU Aux 1.44 V
    +3.3 V 3.38 V
    +5 V 5.00 V
    +12 V 11.61 V
    -12 V -11.71 V
    -5 V -4.65 V
    +5 V Standby 4.99 V
    VBAT Battery 3.22 V
    Debug Info V 52 5A D3 BA BF 27 3D 26 (01)
    Debug Info T 38 57 49

After checking out my CPU's design specs this all seems fairly normal and within acceptable limits... I did find that there was a saftey feature in the bios which would force the CPU into an idle state if it reached a certain temp, it was called 'Thermal Throttling' and it was set to 50%. Im not 100% sure how it works, but after reading the manual it stated that the higher the value the lower the temperature was to force and idle state... I have lowered this to 25% (The lowest value available)

Any idea's? I will post again when I've had time to test the system fully for a reasonable amount of time, and decide if this has fixed the problem...
    Please reply asap

Thanx alot for reading alla this and for your earlier posts, I really appreciate it! Marc

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    While the CPU temp is below the maximum its a little to high. What kind of heatsink are you using on the CPU?

6. Emo-Panda

Emo-Panda Thread Starter

Urm im not quite sure how to tell what brand and/or model number I have installed because there are none visable and I don't know a way of getting that info electronicly... I wouldn't imagine its anything particularly special however because I bought the motherboard, RAM and CPU as a package from Novatech (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/home.html) However I've had a quick look through thier current bundled MoBo's (I can't see my exact model there) and all of them are supplied with thier own brand Heatsink and fan.

Just a quick thought, could this problem still be somthingto do with software and or drivers? Afterall the problems only really started after i re-installed xp-pro and added the service packs... I had never had the service packs before so could there possibly be a confliction there? I have since downloaded and updated all of my drivers to be the most recent and up-to-date...

Thanx again for your help so far! Marc

7. gaftop1

gaftop1

mine was doing exactly the same thing but it's an amd . turned out it had a problem with the new nvidia driver for my ti4200 card. rolled back the driver all is well.
    also had a problem with service pack 2 so uninstalled it.

8. Emo-Panda

Emo-Panda Thread Starter

Ahhh ha! Okay well Im away from home atm so I'll get onto trying that when I get back in a few days!
    Simple lesson to be learnt from this... don't trust Microsoft for SH*T!!! :D

If anyone else can think of any other possibilities please get in touch, thanx again everyone, the light is at the end of the tunnel!!! Marc

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you installed the Service Packs they should be listed in Add/Remove Programs and can be uninstalled.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice