1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help upgrading graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FreeER, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

I have a dell xps 410 and I wish to upgrade my graphics card from the geforce 7300 le to someting that will allow me to increase the setting on some of my games. Most of the new ones I can not play and the less recent one I still have to lower the settings to minimum.

Anyways, I have a 375 psu (came with pc, willing to upgrade if necessary)
    a Pentium D dual core 2.8Ghz processor (Multiplier:x14, Bus:199.5, Rated FSB:798)
    3.5 GB ram (DDR2)
    info came from CPU-Z

If i remember correctly my current gpu is in a pci-e slot but it is only 128 mb. I'm hoping for something around $100-$250ish. Good but not extremely expensive...:)

Thanks in advance for the help

P.S. just saw the TSG SysInfo This is what it gave me.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3517 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 227427 MB, Free - 133173 MB; D: Total - 233585 MB, Free - 148063 MB; E: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 357891 MB; V: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 357891 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0WG855
    Antivirus: Internet Security Anti-Virus, Updated and Enabled

2. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

perhaps I should say why I'm asking for help. I'm asking because I believe that a graphics card will probably only help so much and I do not wish to spend more than will be worth it. I also did not want to buy a nice card only to find that my computer would not boot because of the psu (happened to a friend)

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to the Dell on-line specs for the Dell XPS 410, it does have a 375 watt power supply and it has a PCI Express x16 slot for adding a video card.

A video card with 256 - 512 MB of video memory should be okay with that power supply.

If the case is spacious and has good ventilation, using a video card with a heatsink instead of a cooling fan will put less of a load on the power supply.

I would also select a NVIDIA model over an ATI model.

-------------------------------------------------------

4. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

I was actually hoping for a 1 gb card so that I could play recently released games on recommended settings and not have to worry about my gpu for some time, could probably even use it in my next computer if I bought one with a cheap gpu.

The GeForce GTX550 Ti is $132.99 at www.superbiiz.com/ + shipping of course (It does have a fan so I would probably have to upgrade my psu. I'm fine with that, I've actually just started a computer maintenance degree in college).

Or would 1 gb be overkill? I do play a lot of games but because of my graphics card I sometimes can not play the new ones at all or they lag like crazy just on the campaign.

Besides the Radeon HD 6570 2GB is only $80 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mc=OTC-Froogle-_-Video+Cards-_-XFX-_-14150580. Would definately be able to pop that into a new computer, unless I had bought a gaming computer which would include the latest card. Mainly I think I just wanted to know what psu I would need to run a high-end video card...

as for nvidia 2gb, www.superbiiz.com has a GT520 for $64 (reading the specs on that one shows 400 watt minimum requirement)

as for a psu 700W Coolmax at www.mwave.com for $37

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Don't focus on minimum wattage requirements for a video card when your intent is hard-core gaming.

And don't focus on a cheap price and brand when buying a power supply.

I'm not a hard-core gamer nor a hardware expert, so someone else will need to advise you on the video card and power supply you need to meet your computer's needs.

-------------------------------------------------------

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

OK a few things are being over looked here really, Hardly any performance is based on the amount of RAM that the graphics card has. A 1GB 9400GT is way way slower than a 1Gb HD 6770 graphics card. The amount of memory they have makes very little difference. Even if you bolted 20Gb or RAM onto a 9400GT it still wouldnt run as fast as a 1gb 6770.

I recommend that when you are looking for a video card you look on this website
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

That has loads and loads of averaged benchmarks scores on it from various cards that are available today. When you find one that looks suitable put it into the search bar and see what score it has. The higher the better :)

9400GT - 273 points
    6770 - 1749

Both have 1Gb of memory on them. See what I am getting at here?

Jack-O-Bytes

7. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Also due to it being Dells own silly layout of a case it would be good if you could take a couple of photos of the inside of the case and upload them here so that we can all see what will fit and where there is available slots and space

Jack-O-Bytes

8. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

Ok, I've gotta go to school so I'll post a few once I get back, around 12-1 today

9. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

OK that is fine :)

10. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

[​IMG]

couldn't get it to resize so if it is too large...sorry. Of course if I need to zoom in on anything just let me know. (and yes that is my foot on the side :)
    I just read your other post about the ram..kinda obvious if i think about it...now.
    I'm thinking about a gtx 460 (http://www.aztekcomputers.com/768P31362RXCOR-EVGA-2415000.html) at 2367 compared to my current 76!, it looks like a huge improvement even though according to dell the xps 410 has PCI express 1.1a not 2. I should be able to take the card and put it into another pc once I upgrade in a couple years or so.

BTW i got this computer from a friend for $100 cause he was getting a new pc.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank

12. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Looking at that picture it looks easy enough to replace the PSU with a good unit but replacing the graphics card with anything too large could make it get in the way of that strange blue peice of plastic that looks like it supports the CPU cooler. That could be the main problem. You will need to either measure it all up such as length from motherboard to blue plastic thing and length from expansion slots on the back of the case to the closest thing that looks in the way and then find a card that fits in that space.

Jack-O-Bytes

13. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

Yeah! I was using my dad's since I still live at home but when he asked if I wanted it I just looked at him for a second like he was crazy to think I wouldn't! I'm glad I managed to get it but now I'm hoping to upgrade it so I can actually enjoy playing new games (my dad wouldn't even think about letting me open his computer...)

14. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

That blue plastic lifts up, it's pretty thin too, not real thin but not exactly supportive imo. probably should have lifted it when i took the pic

15. FreeER

FreeER Thread Starter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026088

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice