1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help upgrading video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sli4, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sli4

sli4 Thread Starter

Hi,
    recently inherited an older 42in HDTV and im looking to upgrade my video card to both make my desktop run a bit smoother and to be able to output hdmi to the HDTV.

my current set up is:
    -Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz
    - ASUS B85-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R
    -and an 800w modular ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified psu
    -video radeon 4650 128bit, 512mb

I figure with black Friday and cybermonday I can find a great deal on something in the 50-65$ price range.
    graphics cards are probably my least knowledgeable area when It comes to PC builds so...Any ideas welcome!

2. uriah heep

uriah heep

As long as you are not gaming just about any card with the proper outputs will do. As a lark I tested the built in Intel 3000 while I was swapping out video cards since my case had both hdmi and display port outputs and both my Samsung plasma and asus 27 inch pb278 @ 2560 x 1440 ran fine. But again no gaming. YMMV

3. sli4

sli4 Thread Starter

Hmm. Then it seems silly to spend 85 on this card that had such great reviews. The 2gb isn't needed. I can just get a 1gb card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 88tarot88

88tarot88

go on ebay and find a cheap amd 7850( you can pick one up for under 50 is my guess way over there :) )
    that will give you gaming/video playback hdmi etc etc and not break the bank

5. sli4

sli4 Thread Starter

Just checked eBay. The 1gb version is going for about 80-100. I can get the 650x card for about 85 with a rebate.

6. sli4

sli4 Thread Starter

im thinking I may just go with the 260x card

I've found these two - a 1gb version and a 2gb version for 70 and 85 dollars respectively.

Thoughts?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I use the onboard hdmi video [ati/amd 4200] on my home theater. Works great, no lag movies are fine. If you do not intend to run games, then just about any card with hdmi should work fine.

8. sli4

sli4 Thread Starter

Thank you for that insight! Definitely ell full to hear people speak from experience

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1138320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice