1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help! urgent!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by buddyjohn, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buddyjohn

buddyjohn Thread Starter

i can only access the internet by using internet explorer 9 64-bit. no other web browser works. as for applications some can update and most cant. all other devices and computers on my network can access everything with everything.
    things i have tried(all include a restart when needed, some things I tried together):
    · restart
    · command prompt: ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /flushdns, netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled, netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log, netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    · disabling all other network devices(using wireless device)
    · hold the reset button on wireless router/modem
    · unplugging router/modem
    · unistalling all drivers in the network adaptors section in device management
    · reseting all internet explorer setting
    · disabling firewall
    · manually setting ip address and dns
    · ran isp support program and followed everything it said pretty much mixed in with the list im giving now
    I have been at this for a few hours so I am not sure if this is the complete list. But if anyone has any ideas please let me know… some of the programs that wont update I need! Like client for video games steam and origin :p. but this is really bothering please help!

2. buddyjohn

buddyjohn Thread Starter

i also did a virus scan with mcafee, Malwarebytes, and super anti spyware. they turned up nothing

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a mis-configured or corrupted non-Windows firewall. What one is, or was, on the machine?

4. buddyjohn

buddyjohn Thread Starter

it is mcafee firewall. from the looks of it, it hasn't changed since i modified it when i installed it months ago. my computer started this problem two days ago

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall McAfee and run the Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after testing. There are instructions on that web site for making sure you have your product key for reinstallation.

6. buddyjohn

buddyjohn Thread Starter

i just finished trying it and it did not work either. i am trying to redownload mcafee now, but it is saying i can't because it cannot connect to server and yet i am on this form using IE 9 64-bit as mentioned in my original post

7. buddyjohn

buddyjohn Thread Starter

good news i may have fixed it by doing a system recovery thing. but the thing is it restored to just before i installed a direct x. is it heard of that a virus/malware can hid in a direct x install and not be able to get picked up by all three scans i ran?

i have school today so i cannot check until i get home to see if it actually fixed my problem or decided to be nice for a little bit randomly. ill keep posted.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice