1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! USB card shuts down laptop???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billm, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billm

billm Thread Starter

I just bought a usb 2.0 2 port USB PCMCIA card. When I try to install it into the slot, my laptop automatically shut off. I think it has something to do with the driver, but I'm not sure what. It came with a cd with the driver on it, which I believe I've loaded correctly (pretty simple), but after I shut down, put in the card, then start up, just as windows is starting everything will shut off. I can go into safe mode and it will go in fine, but as I mess around with enable and disabling drivers, it will again shut off. Please help!

2. Rockn

Rockn

What version of Windows?

3. billm

billm Thread Starter

Windows 2000
    - the more I think about it, it seems like the usb card either must be bad or has a conflict with my system; rather than a driver problem. I can swap out a modem card into the same PCMCIA slot without a problem. But when I try it with the usb card, during windows boot up, the laptop will buzz and completely power off - I then have to remove the laptop battery just to get it to turn on again.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Some PCMCIA cards you cannot hot plug and I am sure USB might be one of them. Do you have any USB ports on the laptop that are built in? Is the card the correct type for your PCMCIA slots?

5. billm

billm Thread Starter

The laptop is a Compaq, about 4 years old - there are no built in USB ports. Initially I did not try to add the card hot, I loaded the driver from the cd provided, then shut down, added the card into the PCMCIA slot (that I know is good), then powered back up - as soon as Windows started booting up, the laptop shut down.
    When you ask if the card is the correct type, I think it is. It's plug in side looks just like the modem card I have which works in this slot, and it fits into the slot just like the modem card does. For some reason though, as soon as Windows starts to recognize it, it freaks out with a buzz, and shuts everything down. I even have to remove the batteries and power cord to be able to power up the laptop again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice