Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help? USB WiFi Connector not working, Internet is fine

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  jammadave 
#1 ·
Hi all, first post here, I am simply stumped.

This issue is on my girlfriend's desktop PC. She's running XP, but I'm not sure which version.

- It connects to the Internet via EVDO Aircard. That connection is fine, rock solid (actually much better than my laptop with the same model aircard!)

- We have the Nintendo USB WiFi adaptor connected to another USB port, to share the established Internet connection with our Wii.

The problem is this:
The USB WiFi adaptor is stuck in Acquiring Network Address mode, after running just fine for a couple months!
- I have tried ipconfig/release and renew, I have tried going into the device manager and uninstalling/reinstalling that one thing.
- when I run ipconfig alone, the internet connection comes up with a normal result, but "Local Area Connection 4" (now 5 after the reinstall) comes up with all zeroes.
- when I try to "repair" the connection it gives me an error, I believe it says it cannot get an IP address. But I'm not looking for it to get an IP address - the Wii has a MAC address, and I would think the Nintendo servers would have given it an IP if it needed one, no?

I'm not a power user here, and all the solutions I've found in my search so far, I've either already tried or are over my head.

Anyone out there?
Thanks!!!
Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
remove all the connections and start over.

remove the other usb and see if it works.

#4 ·
I don't think I even *have* a "wireless network" in the traditional sense...

- The EVDO aircard works the same as a hardline in, as far as the computer is concerned (I think)

- Then the Wifi USB stick is the only "wireless networking" happening whatsoever (plugs into USB port so that the Wii's wireless internals can see the computer and use its connection), and that hardware and software is all self-contained as far as I know.

I'll put it this way, when I did use a cable modem and wireless router, I never had any security because I wouldn't know how to do it.

#5 ·
you mentioned connection 4 & 5

i use a linksys wireless(still wired too) and encryption is setup thru the router setup page

#6 ·
@bearone2: I'm not sure how to "remove everything and start over". In some respects I'm a decently adept user, but networking I don't have the slightest idea about.

If I remove the "other USB" then I have no internet connection, and wouldn't be able to test the Wii's connectivity (as it tests to the internet)...

Oh, and as for connection 4 and 5, I don't know why it said 4 to begin with, and now 5. There has always been just one connection to the internet, and the nintendo thing was an addition a couple months ago - which just recently stopped working.

#7 ·
leave the one the others, rt click/remove-delete and when their all gone, make a new connection.

nintendo usb shouldn't affect the usb wifi unless somehow they've mated.

#8 ·
No, no, the nintendo USB *is* the USB wifi.

The other USB thing is the aircard, which for all intents and purposes is actually not wifi - it's a standard internet connection, it just happens to be coming in on the USB port.

Come to think of it, the aircard hardware and software are also basically self-contained. Is it possible that means I need *no* LAN/WAN connections in the Device Manager? Or is that an incorrect assumption?

#9 ·
wireless should show up in dm under network adapters.

it doesn't sound like the aircard is doing anything.

wan/lan/internet is the connection point on the back of the router fot the rj-45 cable coming from the modem.

#10 ·
But bear-buddy - there IS no router, there is no modem, there is no RJ45. I have no hardline internet into my home whatsoever.

The aircard *is* the internet connection, and the computer is connected to the internet perfectly fine.

It's the connection for the Wii to see the computer that is stuck/hosed.

I hope this helps. =0)

#11 ·
is aircard like the verizon wireless card, connect everywhere ?

i thought you said nintendo was the wifi connection in post #8.

#13 ·
then why use both if nintendo does it all?

#14 ·
Huh?

The PC connects to the internet via the Aircard. Then the Wii connects to the computer wirelessly via the Nintendo USB Wifi. Using the PC is how the Wii gets to the internet. The Nintendo card *only* provides a wireless "network" between the PC and the Wii.

Anyways, the problem has evolved and compounded now, so I'll have to start a second thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.