1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help using old router as wireless bridge

Discussion in 'Networking' started by japjrthib, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. japjrthib

japjrthib Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm looking for a little help here... I have read several threads but nothing really pertains to my exact situation.

I currently have a home where I can't get Internet service, but I do have a network setup for file sharing with several computers and devices hooked to a router. I have a mobile hotspot that I want to use to give my current network access to the Internet also. I have a spare router that I can use as a wireless bridge (hopefully), which is a D-Link DIR-615. The mobile hotspot has no Ethernet or USB ports so I have to wirelessly connect the hotspot to the spare router and then connect from that router to my existing router which is already connected to my home network. The router that is already connected is a nether router. I'm not sure of the exact model.
    Is this possible? If so, can you please inform me of what I have to do to set this up correctly? Do I have to flash the spare router with a specific firmware, or is it capable of doing what I'm looking to do with it?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The DIR-615 does not have that feature natively. You could try DD-WRT firmware, depending on the Revision. I did not check to see if there is Tomato firmware.

3. japjrthib

japjrthib Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

That's actually what I'm doing right now. They have it, but there are different versions of the router. I'm currently not at home so I'll have to check it when I get home.
    So if I'm able to flash the firmware, what changes do I have to make to the setup? This router will have to receive the signal from the hotspot and then an Ethernet will go from this router to the other router which is already configured to my network. Right? So once that's done how does this router function besides that? Do devices still connect to this router wirelessly or only to the current router that's already in my network? I'm guessing only the existing router will "broadcast" a signal because the D-Link will be "receiving" How is security and name and all setup between the 2?
    Sorry, I have basic understanding of this stuff, but I definitely get confused with IP address and subnets and all of that when I get a little deeper into things that aren't basic.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I thought that there was user documentation with DD-WRT firmware, but if not you will need to p0ke around in the user interface to see what needs to be done.

I guess you are asking if the DIR-615 will perform as a Repeater and Wireless Bridge at the same time. I think that is the case with all DD-WRT firmware, but I could easily be wrong.

I haven't read the documentation for specifics. My experience is that connecting a wireless bridge is pretty much the same as connecting a wireless adapter, but with less understandable user interface; you need to scan for signals, select the one you want, and input the encryption key.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice