Help!! Verizon Um-150 Very Cheap!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fenderjag67

I run a small mobile business. i pull a small trailer that i work out of. I use a laptop and verizon mobile internet. The modem they gave me is the UM-150, i believe.(looks like a small candy bar) It has a fold out male usb connector.
I have been through 2 of them already due to taking my laptop in and out of my truck. The male connector becomes loose and the soldered wires sever and its over. It is very cheap!! I have tried a wire extension, and used velcro to keep the modem on the back side of the screen. Opening and closing the laptop eventually wore out the connector once again. They only give you two replacements with the insurance @ $50 a pop. They will not let me trade for a pc card either.
Is there a way to create my own little mobile wireless network in my vehicle? I was thinking i could install a wireless router in the truck and leave the modem hooked up to it. This service requires you to connect through their software each time you surf the internet. I'm no IT guy, but that seems to be a problem. The guy at verizon didn't think it could be done. Any advice??

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi fenderjag67, and welcome to TSG.

If Verizon offers a PC5740 wireless modem in a PC Card configuration, then this AirLink wireless router may work for you.

fenderjag67

That's just the thing. They won't let me upgrade to a different card until april. Nice device though. If only i could find one for the UM-150. I don't get it though. If the pc card is in your laptop, how does it connect to router? I figured you would have to leave the modem connected to the router and use the wireless nic in the laptop to connect. I guess its using your laptop as the modem. I only have one laptop, so having that pc card would be enough.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't get it though. If the pc card is in your laptop ...
Looking at the product description and specifications, I believe that the PC5740 Modem PC Card plugs into the PC Card slot on the AirLink router, not into the slot on the laptop. You then use either an 802.11 wireless or wired Ethernet connection from the router to the laptop.

Do you have the option of just buying the PC5740 from Verizon now, instead of waiting for some type of discounted or free upgrade in April?

EDIT: If the PC5740 is much more rugged than the USB modem -AND- your laptop has a free PC Card slot, maybe leaving the PC5740 plugged into the PC will be good enough for you?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online