1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Viewing Image Description (What Program has this feature?)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by LeafsLover1393, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeafsLover1393

LeafsLover1393 Thread Starter

Hi - Hopefully someone can help me out with this small problem. I need to find an Image Viewing Program that allows me to see the image description at the bottom of each picture. I downloaded all of the pictures from Boston's 'Big Picture' Archive and everything went perfect except for the fact when I open the pictures up in FastStone Image Viewer I can't see the writing near the bottom of the pictures which explain exactly what the picture is. Does anyone know if this feature is available in FastStone or any other program?? (Just to clarify - I am NOT talking about the camera details like the Exif data or whatever it is called. I am talking simply about the short paragraph at the bottom of each picture on Boston's Big Picture website that describes what the picture is of..When I open the pics up in FastStone I can see them fine but that paragraph at the bottom of each one is missing!!) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

Darryl.

2. Peano

Peano Banned

If you mean this text, it isn't part of the image. It's entered on the page as text. When you download the image, that text doesn't come with it.

[​IMG]

3. hewee

hewee

Some image or image viewing programs let you add "Comments" or "Description" but it will be listed in the details like file name, file type and file size.
    It will be not be saved with the image either but with the program.

I have a older ACDsee image viewing program that lets you do this.

All that info is now saved in the same folder the image is at in a "descript.ion file" and it's only in that file so it's not saved to the image.

That file list every image in it likewaterandfire.jpg
    Is now waterandfire.jpg My-descript-here A10256018b18c8010001

But a descript.ion file gets put in every folder on your computer.
    If I made a "Description" on a image and move the image it will not move the "Description" with the image.

4. Peano

Peano Banned

If you want to type text onto each image, you can do that with IrfanView.

[​IMG]

5. LeafsLover1393

LeafsLover1393 Thread Starter

Thx for the reply - I thought I read somewhere that Picasa lets you see that text...I am almost 100% sure I did...But if you are right when you say the text is not part of the image then I guess it would be next to impossible for it to be included....darn!

Darryl.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you open a picture in IrfanView and then under Image, click Information, there is a comment button. Those comments are added to the header of the image. Sometimes, they are information about who took the picture, what camera, or a description. If there is none, you can add one yourself.

Some also have IPTC info, like Headline, Copyright, and other info.

7. hewee

hewee

Thanks that's good to know.
    I see the this does not work on all image types because I could only get it to show up with .jpg

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The way you can tell Leafslover is that the text can be selected individually from the image, if it were part of the image you would not be able to do that, so its a separate element of the webpage.

Alternatively, what you could do is center a photo and the caption and press the print scr key and then paste that into an image program capable of cropping, crop both pic and caption together and save.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice