1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help viewing pages, please

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Larrylowtech, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Larrylowtech

Larrylowtech Thread Starter

While on the internet, after a short while, pages will not display. If I hit refresh enough times, it will sometimes work. Hitting the back button and then hitting the forward button several times sometimes works. If I clean my temp Internet files, it does not seem to help.
    The only thing that seems to help is rebooting. Sometimes, I have to do this a couple times to clear out whatever is the problem.
    The problem seems to be most prevalent on sites like ebay where I am searching and looking at a lot of stuff. Sites with lots of pictures seem to exacerbate this problem.
    The other computer on my network does not have this problem and my 12 yo son probably goes to more sites with more pics than I do.
    I do not know what other info You may need.
    Rebooting 3, 4, or more times every day is a pain in the butt.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. oldie

oldie

Dial up or ADSL connection? When did you last Defrag? And have you told your ISP?

Welcome to TSGs :)

Oldie

3. Larrylowtech

I am on DSL as is the kids computer on the same network. I run several times a day adaware 6.0, Norton utilities (system check) every couple days. Spybot search and destroy maybe weekly. I have Trend PC-cillin antivirus.
    This problem has been around for a while. Defragging seems to have no effect. I don't think it is an ISP issue because the other computer doesn't have the same problem. My Temp internet files folder is set to 1170 mb. I have made it both larger and smaller with no appreciable difference.
    Thanks for any help

4. oldie

oldie

Rather than rebooting. Shut down computer, power off. After 10 minutes or so power up again and if you have an external modem check how long the data light flashes before becoming fully synchronised.

Your problem is similar to one I had recently, which turned out to be my modem.

Regards - Oldie

5. Larrylowtech

I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks

6. Larrylowtech

Wouldn't both computers on the network have the same problem?
    Same modem.

7. Larrylowtech

The lights flash and my site shows up.
    It seems that the lights won't flash when it's messing up.
    Additionally, most graphics or pics will stop displaying just before the page errors.
    I get the box with the little red X. Refresh a couple times seems to help, but I've learned that very soon it is time to reboot or shutdown and restart.

8. oldie

oldie

Hi Larry, I thought your problem might be the same one I had recently = modem. Seems unlikely now however, so maybe a more tech minded member can help out seeing as my tech count is less than 5% :D

Please post your full comp specs including RAM

Cheers - Oldie

9. Future

Future

I think the problem could be to do with IE. So, if you go into tools, and check to see if IE is set to refresh the page each time it is visisted.

When you visit a site, IE remembers what the page looked like, and wil not always update any changes that have occured, but you can set it so that it has to check for any changes to the web page.

I can't remember how this is done, but I know it can be.

10. Larrylowtech

Thanks, Oldie.Not sure if this is what you meant, below. Also, Future, I vaguely know what you mean. Just went through IE settings and couldn't find anything there. Thanks.
    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Upgrade using CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=H:\WIN98 /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    Uptime: 0:00:07:59
    Normal mode
    On "LARRY" as "larry"

AuthenticAMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
    256MB RAM
    73% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (879MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 879MB of 4877MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 1005MB of 4877MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive E: 961MB of 4869MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive F: 3598MB of 4869MB (FAT32)

11. Future

Future

well, if all else fails you can use a program called IE Eradicator for windows 98

It will put back to version 3, I think. But, it will remove IE. Then you need to d/l and install a newer version.

It also removes outlook too, so you will need to back up all your links and favorites and history etc..

12. Larrylowtech

Thanks for trying to help, but the I don't think the problem is with IE. Both computers are on the same DSL connection, they are both using the same version of IE and only one has a problem. I feel it is something in my settings or somewhere else inside my computer.

13. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

I'm having the same problem...started about 2 weeks ago. I also have tried everything to no avail. I don't think it's an IE problem; it is the same with Mozilla and Opera. I posted a thread on it here http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=219814
    but have gotten no replies...

14. Larrylowtech

There'a been a lot of people that want to be helpful and I appreciate it. It has been difficult for me to express the details of the problem. So, the results have not always been quite what I'v ebeen looking for.
    This has been a problem for me for some time. Asked a few local techies but no answer there either.

15. Future

Future

If you just want to open your e-mail, you can go to
    WWW.hotmail.com
    Enter your e-mail and password etc, and you should be able to view your e-mail

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice