1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help W/ Harddrive!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muchichi, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

I was trying to install Ubuntu Studios on my computer but before i did that i installed Ubuntu Linux Feisty Server (v. 7.04). I installed the server over the entire harddrive so it erased Windows XP because i had intended for Ubuntu Studios to work. At the command line it kept saying that it could not find ubuntu-desktop. so i planned to uninstall Ubuntu Server and reinstall Windows XP. So i put in the Windows XP but it registered that it could not install it until the harddrive was wiped so that it was blank and ubuntu server was gone. So i put the ubuntu server cd back in and tried to delete the harddrive. Now whenever i boot the computer the server doesn't pop up but says:

"GRUB Loading stage 1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 15
    _"

the "_" blinks on and off.

So now i tried to form a bootable iso cd of Killdisk but it loads on a black screen saying:

"Loading FreeDOS...
    ROOT."

then the "ROOT" part blinks on and off as if trying to load but since i waited for an hour for the bootable Killdisk to pop up, it never did. I thought i might not have a DOS but apparently i do. I tried to form a bootable floppy of Killdisk but it does the same thing. I just need to know how i should erase the harddrive in a easy and simple way.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Using your WinXP disc can you repartition and reformat your drive? What is the drive Manufacturer and Model?

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

You can go here and download and create a floppy boot disk that will allow you to FDISK and format the drive. I always use the easier and quicker Win98 essential at the bottom of this page. http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

4. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

okay i downloaded the Partition Recovery Boot Disk file onto a MS-DOS formated bootable floppy and put it in my comp and it says:

"Disk I/O error
    Replace the disk, and then press any key
    _"

any ideas?

5. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

um its a Seagate 120 GB internal Hard Drive upgrade kit
    on the box it says

Ultra ATA/100
    7200 RPM
    8MB Cache 3.5-inch Drive
    PC or MAC

i have a Dell Pc so...

6. muchichi

muchichi Thread Starter

i also just tried the segate upgrade kit installation drivers cd and it reformatted the hard drive so thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice