1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help w/ sharing files/folder and printer over home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by truebullfan, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. truebullfan

truebullfan Thread Starter

ok guys here is what I did I followed the direction from cnet's weekend project about how to share files/folders and printers thru a home network

the link can be found here http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11334_7-6232456-1.html?tag=nav

I have two computers a desktop and a laptop. I have comcast high-speed cable and i use linksys router to have wireless internet on my laptop. I want to share files and printers over the network. Both computers run XP.

I made a workgroup by going to control panel, network connections,"setup home or small office network" and followed the guidelines. My computer name is *** for my laptop and *** for my desktop. The workgroup name is ***. I did the setup for both computers.

I went to the default shared folder on my laptop and put some files in there to share and set it up so the hand icon displayed meaning that im sharing. I also did this w/ my printer connected to my laptop and desktop.

The problem is it doenst seem to work. When I go to control panel,add printer on my laptop it shows the workgroup name and the two subcatorgies which our the laptop computer name (***) and the desktop computer name ( ***) but shows no printers

if someone could help figure this out I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

2. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

Is the printer going to be connected to the Desktop all the time?

Are you allowing enough time for the printer to show up? Sometimes it takes awhile to come up in My Network Places (5 to 20 min.)

Open Control Panel > Click on Network Connections > right click on Local Area Connection > click on Properties put a check mark by the Files and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks if there is not one.
    Allow enough time for the printer to show up.

Also click Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes

Right click on the printer to be shared > click on Sharing > Sharing tab put a tick by Share this printer if it don't have one by it yet.

click > Appy > OK

=============================================================
    After checking the above try this.

On the Laptop

Click on Start, Settings, Printers and Faxes, click on Add Printer, Next.

Under, Select the option that describes the printer you want to use:

Select, A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer

Click Next,

Under, What printer do you want to connect to?

Select, Browse for a printer

Click, Next

Now you need to click on the + sign by Microsoft Windows Network in the list of Shared printers:

Now click the + sign by the name of your workgroup Bhanji that you made.

You should see your desktop Nadeem and laptop Irfan.

If there is a + by Nadeem you have to click it then select the printer that should be showing.

Click Next, and finish following the wizard installing the Printer (you maybe asked to select the printer and drivers etc. or have the disk with the printer drivers)

3. truebullfan

there is a check mark but the local area connection is off. There is a red X mark that says network area unplugged.

Well now when I go to add printer from my laptop it shows Irfan(laptop) and the printer name but doesnt show Nadeem's(desktop) printer at all.

When I go on my desktop and go to add printer it doesnt even show anything. No Irfan or Nadeem just microsoft windows network. Something I did wrong w/ my desktop setup?

Also when i go to my shared folder on my desktop(nadeem) and click on workgroup and its something like "not accessible"

thanks for replying and helping me out

4. truebullfan

can anyone me out?

5. truebullfan

still looking for help.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm kinda lost as to just where you stand with this.

Do you now have internet access on each machine?

Can you see both computers on each machine when you go into My Network Places and click 'View Workgroup Computers'?

Do you have a printer connected (via USB or parallel or whatever) to the desktop? Same question for laptop.

On the owning computer(s) have you shared this(these) printer(s)?

7. truebullfan

1) yes i have internet connection on both machines and its working fine. I share the cable connection via router.

2) only works for the laptop and when I click on the laptop name (Irfan) it opens up and shows what files im sharing but i cant open the desktop name up. As for the Desktop computer when i click on "View Workgroup Computers" it doesnt open and just gives me a "not accessible error"

3) The printer is connected via USB for both the desktop and printer for the laptop even though the printer for the laptop isnt connected right now but the printer is installed.

8. truebullfan

go i think i may know what the problem is ...

when i go to control panel, network connections my laptop shows three icons

1) wireless internet connection which is connected

2) Local area connection which is disabled

3) I394 connection which is connected

for my desktop when i go to control panel, internet connections it has one icon

1) local area connection which is connected

to i need to change something here???

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your Network Connections on both machines look normal. And good.

I assume that you have run the Network Setup Wizard and as part of that you enabled file and printer sharing. This should configure the Windows XP firewall properly (unless you don't have Service Pack 2).

How about 3rd party firewalls (Norton, McAfee, Zone Alarm, etc.)? These have to be uninstalled ('disable' isn't always sufficient) or properly configured (trusted zone) to allow network access. The problems that you are encountering are most often caused by a firewall doing its job.

10. truebullfan

Yes, I have service pack 2 and have run the setup wizard.

yes i have a zone alarm firewall for my laptop. How would I configurate it?

11. jmwills

jmwills

Consult the guide for this program becasue by default it will block all internal connections.

12. truebullfan

still confused. Looked at the zonealarm guide didnt say anything about how to add a network.

Went to the trusted tab in the program and it showed the network that im using which is "Bhanji" and a "loopback adapter"

13. jmwills

jmwills

Both machines have to be inside what they call the "Trusted Zone".

14. truebullfan

how do I do that? put each others ip address in there?

15. jmwills

jmwills

You can, but the scope (Range) of the network addresses will suffice.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/426046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice