1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help w/ Stop: 0x0000001E Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skitz37, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am really stressed about my BSOD problem w/ my Windows 2000 Professional 2Pac operating system. My computer will not startup properly then goes to blue screen w/ the message...

STOP: 0X0000001E (0xc0000005, 0XEB9E09FA, 0x00000000, 0x00000118) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    Address EB9E909FA base at EB9E0000,
    Date stamp 46eac08d-ohctusb.sys

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Dumping physical memory to disk: (then it counts down to 100 and reboots starting the above process all over again).

I've been looking for help online and speaking to people but everyone is down on me for still using Windows 2000 Professional. Am willing to upgrade to XP if I can figure out the current problem.

So far I have: purchased Registry Fix, tried using the ERD, Recovery Console, and clean nstallation. Nothing works but the good news is that it does work in SAFE MODE and all of my files are there.

PLEASE help. I'm not sure what to do next.

Best,

Isabel

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are able to boot into safe mode, the first thing is to backup anything important. Once you are sure any important info is safe, boot with your win2k CD and attempt a repair install.

BTW I still use win2k as a dual boot with vista. I prefer win2k over xp any day.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing. Have you installed any new hardware and or software? Have you updated any drivers lately?

Since the system works OK in safe mode, your hardware is probably Ok and it is a software/driver/app problem.

4. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Added a new monitor 5 days before the problem began and also a new modem/router from verizon 9 days before the problem.

5. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Everything backed up on a flash drive. Cannot repair from the CD and I can't figure our why. Did a clean install from the CD and problem still not solved. I don't know what to try next.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Does the modem connect via a usb port by chance?

Next I would move on to testing the hardware download and run memtest. Note this runs from bootable media ie CD or floppy; no need for an os to even be installed.

If your ram checks out OK, then download and run the hd maker's utility for checking the drive. You download this from whoever made the disk ie WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc.

Once done with that, open your case and give the board a VERY close inspection with a bright light. If you see any bulging/leaking/discolored capacitors on the board, you have found the problem.

7. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks so much for your quick replies. I feel like throwing up I am so upset about my computer situation. I simply cannot afford a new computer.

So I understand memtest and will start that asap. I don't understand...

"If your ram checks out OK, then download and run the hd maker's utility for checking the drive. You download this from whoever made the disk ie WD, Maxtor, Seagate, etc."

How do I know who made my Hard Drive (HD)?

Best,

Isabel

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to open the case and see who made the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc. Once you know that, go to their site and download the utility.

You do understand that you will use the system you are posting on now to make the CD/floppy disk correct? You do not just copy the file to a floppy; you must run the app you downloaded from memtest OR if you download the iso file, you use something like nero to burn the iso.

9. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Turns out it was a problem w/ a driver created through a Verizon DSL program for a new modem/router. I was able to uninstall the program and delete the driver and now my computer is back but I no longer have DSL service. Not sure if I should re-install the Verizon program or not. Any thoughts?

And thank you for your advise!

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You never answered if your modem connects via usb or not.

Have you checked verizon's site for any updated drivers?

If your modem does connect via usb, see if you can use a regular pci nic card to connect.

11. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hi. Yes, it has a modem to connect to a USB port but the net works (not perfectly) w/out it. Everytime I try to reset the Verizon system using the UBS port I get the BSOD. I also discovered that when I do my RegistryFix program it fixes the driver (I deleted it) that is causing all of the havoc.

I have no idea how to disable a driver. I can only delete it and try to prevent my system from bringing it back.

Keep in mind I am not very smart about computers. I've come a long way in fixing the problem I had from lots of reseach and folks like you on this website.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have really two options here.

1 Continue to use the modem with an updated driver [if one is available]

2 Is your modem a router as well? I mean is it all one piece or do you have separate modem and router? If it is all-in-one, I would really look into having it connected via a nic card. These are cheap and [IMO] a better way to connect.

If possible post a link to your modem and I can look at it and see.

13. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

Hi. Yes, I have one piece (modem and router) that I received new (to replace my old 2 piece) from Verizon about 10 days ago. What is a nic card?

I can see if I can get you a link to it. Any help is appreciated.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

NIC= network interface card. It it used to connect to a network, router, switch, etc. If your modem has a connector that looks like a large phone jack, that is for a nic or rj45 connector.

I currently have a 2wire modem/router combo and it is connected to each system here with a standard rj45/nic type connection. Note this router also has usb however that is not the best way to connect [If you have other options]

Part of the problem is that win2k is being ignored as far as drivers/updates, etc. I just ran into this with my TV card. The latest update from Happauge does not work with win2k.

15. Skitz37

Skitz37 Thread Starter

This is why I was considering upgrading to XP. I'll do a bit of research on the NIC card. Thank you for suggesting it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/626092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice