1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help w/win 98/XP network Please!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by billfrech, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billfrech

billfrech Thread Starter

I am totally confused!

I need help with adding a new Win XP machine to my existing Win98 network.

I have two Windows 98 PC's connected via a wired ethernet D-Link router (Model DI-604). My first PC (named Dellcomputer) is a Dell running Win 98. This PC is connected to the D-Link Router and a Motorola cable modem. It is also connected to an HP Laserjet 4 printer and a Lexmark inkjet printer. The second PC (named Karen_kayleigh) is an HP Pavillion also running Windows 98. I can share internet access, files and printers between both machines. So far so good.

I recently purchased a new HP PC running Windows XP Home Edition. I also upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2. I connected the ethernet cable to the new PC, connected the other end to the Router, and immediately had internet access on the new machine. I have since been struggling to get the XP machine to file/printer share with the Dell PC.

All three PC's have the workgroup name WORKGROUP (I know, very original)

If I go into Network Neighborhood on either of the Win 98 PC's, I see all three PC's listed and if I click on the new machine (named Bill), I can see the shared file folders and have access to them.

When I open My Network Places on the new XP machine, and then click on View Workgroup Computers, I still see all three PC's listed. I can click on the Karen_kayleigh Icon and see the shared files folders. I have successfully opened a file on the Karen_kayleigh PC from the Bill (XP) machine, so everything appears to be OK between those two. Here's where I'm running into a problem. When I double click on the Dellcomputer icon from the Workgroup window on the new machine, it takes about 20 seconds for anything to happen and then I get the following error...

\\Dellcomputer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

The semaphore timeout period has expired.

After researching this on the net, I determined that it may be a firewall problem. I have disabled my ZoneAlarm software on the Dellcomputer PC and still have the same problem. I have also temporarily disabled the Windows XP firewall on the Bill machine (even though I don't think that's the problem since I can share with the Karen_kayleigh PC with the firewall enabled just fine). Still no luck.

I have successfully ping'd all three machines from each other so they are talking to each other.

I'm completely lost as to what might be causing this problem and what to do about it.

Any help is greatly appeciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Bill :confused:

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are seeing all the computers then that is a good thing. It also sounds like you can access the XP computer from the other two which is usually the hard part.

As a test, and to simplify things, I would completely uninstall any 3rd party firewall software and disable XP's until you get the network functioning.

You can also apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also have heard of this being related to the DHCP lease.

As a quick test you might try configuring it with the appropriate static IP information.

4. billfrech

billfrech Thread Starter

Tried all of the above except the registry edit. Didn't do that because there is no delay whatsoever accessing the Karen_kayleigh Win 98 computer from the XP machine.

Still no difference. It has to be something on the Dell PC's side that is inhibiting the new PC from accessing it. If I am in My Network Places on the XP machine and I right-click on the Dell icon and then choose Properties, I get the following Microsoft Networking error:

The server Dellcomputer does not accept remote requests.

Don't know if that means anything, but I figured I'd mention it.

Thanks.

Bill

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And you are logging into the new computer with a valid user id and password as on the Windows2000 computer? For example with the same name and password that the Win98 computer is using.

6. billfrech

billfrech Thread Starter

Same password on all pc's. Name is different on each PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice