1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help wanted (not too tech please)

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by pc plodder, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pc plodder

pc plodder Thread Starter

I have just been given an old computer to get me onto the net.
    It is a Vale computer, 2gig hard drive, pentium 2 166 loaded with windows 98.

Off the web 2 days ago, i had a virus invade my new toy.

I did an online scan with Panda and it identified that the PC was infected with a Trojan. (didn't say what type) It disinfected it but now my PC is so slow it is unbelievable.
    When i start it up i get 2 warning bars appear.
    1) Cannot find file 'msinfo exe' or one of its components
    2) Could not load msinfo exe specified in WIN INI file.

Once i canel both of these the desktop loads and i can log onto the internet.
    Trouble is once on the pages get slower and slower and the scroll bar will not work, finally the whole lot freezes and i have to turn it off manually.
    Does anyone know of a "fix" for this prob.
    The trojan has also altered my homepage default setting and i have to use blank.
    Any help would be appreciated as i'm new too this and totally pc illiterate (so not too tech please guys)
    Regards
    Steve

2. Top Banana

Top Banana

3. BillC

BillC

Here is a thread on this problem.Click here. Use the CoolWebShredder suggested by Top Banana.

4. pc plodder

pc plodder Thread Starter

Thanks guys you've restored my faith in human nature.

The bit of kit Top banana recomended worked a treat. My PC is up and running much better now.

It's nice to know that there are people out there who can help the newbies like myself who run into all these problems.

As for the joker who wrote and placed it on the net, i'd like to nail all his fingers to concrete using a hilti gun. they don't realise the problems they cause to the little guy who just likes surfing the net as a hobby.

Once again guys, thanks a million!!
    Steve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice