Help! weird voltage readings

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mike5426

My 3 month old computer has been doing some weird things lately like rebooting randomly. So I decided that it could be my voltages. I installed 3 programs to monitor these: everest, hmonitor, and MSI PCAlert4.

Please tell me if these are weird.

Everst

cpu core: 1.40
+3.3v: 3.33
+5v: 5.05
+12v: trial version (won't tell me cause I have trial)
+5 v standby: 5.11
vbat battery: 3.14

Hmonitor

+12v: blank
-12v: blank
+5v: 5.06
-5v: -6.10 (im getting a warning indicator)
core: +2.30 (warning)
aux: +3.33v (warning)
i/o: +3.23

MSI PCAlert4 (i consider these most accurate since this is my mobo company)

vcore: 1.41
3.3v: 3.23
+5v: 5.05
+12v: 1.92 (red and buzzing...this seems bad)

Please help me, I am getting worried.

I am especially concerned since I bought a cheap psu to go with this computer, an aspire.

mike5426

I am confused now. I just download a program called SpeedFan and this is what I got:

vcore: 1.39
+12v: 12.65
3.3v: 3.23
vcc: 5.01
vin2: 0.00
5vsb: 5.01
vbat: 0.00

Have you checked the voltages in the BIOS? Often times incorrect voltages are reported by software.

-5v rail is not commonly used anymore. There are some power supplies/motherboards that still use this but they are few and far between.

What brand/model of power supply is it that you are using?

On-board sensors are far from accurate to start with (even BIOS readings could be ~10% out), then the different software applications will report differently as you have discovered.

The only certain way is to use a multimeter.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
As recommended, I'd use a meter to verify the P/S voltages. Truthfully, in reviewing the results you got, I suspect the voltages are probably within reason. I'd start the debugging with a memory test, which is one of the more likely reasons for rebooting.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

I'd start by opening the control panel, double clicking the "system" applet, hit the "advanced" tab, click on "startup and recovery", and uncheck "automatic reboot".

If it still does it, then it's most likely power supply related, although if you get a blue screen, it may be something else and the error message should help narrow it down.

Even if you get a blue screen, I'd wait till it did it a few times, if it's a different message each time, it may still be a power supply problem. Although if it's the same message each time, you have probably found out the culpret. You might also try downloading the debugging symbols for the OS, and using microsofts debugging tools to read the memdump, if there's one written.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
gotrootdude said:
might also try downloading the debugging symbols for the OS, and using microsofts debugging tools to read the memdump, if there's one written.
That's probably not the first step I'd recommend! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online