1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help: When I Start My Computer No Icons Appear

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Exxpo, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Exxpo

Exxpo Thread Starter

Hi all...

I have asked for help before about this...so I am posting a link to that thread...just so you can see what others have posted...unfortunatly I could not make heads or tails of the "possible" solution given...and now my problem has worsened...

Here is the previous link:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/524623-desktop-not-loading-up-properly.html

I hope someone can help me with this problem...this is happening more often now and when it does I sometimes need to start my computer 4 or 5 times before everything loads up properly...

The problem is this...when I turn my computer on many times nothing appears on the desktop except for my background image...none of my icons are there and neither is my taskbar...the only way I am able to restart my computer is to do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE which brings up the "Task Manager" and from there I can shut down/restart my computer...and sometimes I need to do this a couple of times before everything loads onto the desktop...

I am running Windows XP (original not an upgrade)...I have tried a few things that people have suggested...I uninstalled "windows service pack 2" (which is still uninstalled at present)...I did a "chkdsk" and then a complete "defrag"...I thought this worked but then a couple of days later the problem started again...I have scanned for virus' using AVG/Grisoft...I also used "Ad-Aware SE"; "Spybot" and "CCleaner" to delete or fix all unused or damaged files...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Exxpo

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. 1101doc

1101doc

Does this problem present in any other account? If you have only the one account, try creating one, adding some desktop icons and loggong into that one at boot-up. If all is well, transfer to the new account and delete the old one. Just make sure that you have copied all your data from the folders in your old account name to same folders in new account name (My Documents,etc) before deleting.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since it appears to be a desktop problem as opposed to a taskbar problem, and since you can get to the task manager, what happens if from the task manager you do a File / New Task and enter in "explorer" - no quotes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice