1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help! why can't i see video?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by octane7, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octane7

octane7 Thread Starter

okay, so I built a computer for my friend (amd xp 3000+, 512mb, 64mb video card)

and at first we didn't use any thermal paste, so we were getting temperatures around 80C.

then we did apply some thermal paste, and that dropped the temperatures to 50-60C.

so now, everything is good, however we realized that the computer is underclocked and running slow (running at 1 - 1.4 ghz).

so we decided to bring that back up to 2.0 ghz however the temparatures went higher than 70C

so then we stoped that, and bought a larger heatsink. at first my friend put the heatsink on the wrong way, (backwards) and turned on the computer to realize he was getting temps at 70+ again.

we then changed the heat sink around the proper way, yet, the computer now will turn on with power and everything running, however we aren't seeing anything on the monitor.

keep in mind that everything was working great before.... and the video card works for sure as we tested it, and there is no problem with the monitor.

everything is getting power and everything turns on (fans).

why aren't I seeing anything?

thanks

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I think you mightve fried the CPU sadly, 80 degrees C is beyond most CPU's max temp. And the fact that you had the PC on different occasions when it was running to hot might've fried it, after all it only takes fractions of a second to fry modern proccessors

3. winbob

winbob

What did you do exactly to bring the Processor's speed up? Did you push up the FSB??? If you exceeded the recommended Bus Speed, you may have caused a problem with the PCI Bus (Video Card) from working properly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice