1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!!!!!!! Why does xp not allow me to install a single THING!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Longsun, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Longsun

Longsun Thread Starter

Everytime i try to install a program or even updates, i'm told that the exe. file is corrupt or that there is an invalid signature. What is goin on?

Ok 1 example, " The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its intergrity, and try again."

Another " Antivirus Update Progress
    ERROR!

Error:invalid update signature

But usually it's " This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher.You should only run software from publishers you trust."

Then i click run and get
    " The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, failed download or a virus."

I'm further told, " It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch" Which, 1st i don't know what it is....so don't trust my own computer skills enough without advice and 2nd I don't want to have to do this every time i install something.

2. Lance1

Lance1

3. Longsun

Longsun Thread Starter

ok ill try

4. Longsun

Longsun Thread Starter

Nope still the same

5. Lance1

Lance1

If you have your XP CD handy try running sfc /scannow from the run command.

6. Longsun

Longsun Thread Starter

I did that, it finished without a report or anything.

7. Lance1

Lance1

You could try and run chkdsk /f /r from the command prompt. It'll say that it can't and would you like to run and next startup, so do that.

8. mmoore100

mmoore100

I had similar problems and eventually ended up reinstalling my entire Windows XP SP2 operating system because I discovered that I could no longer install *any* program. Of course, I had to also re-install and update every single flippin' program, utility, and accessory that I use. I was not amused.

So now I'm getting similar installation errors with Quickbooks update and started searching for answers again. People keep mentioning a Microsoft installer cleanup utility:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

I haven't tried it myself, but I may do so. I certainly don't have the time to keep uninstalling and reinstalling operating systems. I bought a computer to be more productive, not to keep me busy!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this.

9. zabusant

zabusant

were all the things you're trying to install downloaded recently?

You should try with something you've had for a long time:)

10. mmoore100

mmoore100

I just tried the following:

Installed SnagIt 7.0, fresh install. This is an old program that I've had for a couple of years, but I hadn't installed it again after re-installing XP about a month ago.

Installed SyncBack. (I already had it installed, but this was a new version.)

Re-installed addressing software and drivers for Brother P-touch printer.

All were successful.

11. zabusant

zabusant

Your downloads are getting corrupted. Are you using a router?

12. anand1

anand1

Go to My Computer Properties Hardware Driver Signing and change the caption to Ignore and OK. This will install any of the software without any Digital signing.

13. mmoore100

mmoore100

Yes, I am using a router, but:

• One of the programs I just installed successfully, SyncBack, was one that I downloaded right then.
    • There are other PCs on this home network and they don't seem to have the same problem.

Interesting thought, though. We're using Comodo, which I'm new to. Maybe I should reinstall *that*. Oh, but wait. I think that before The Great Re-Install I was using Zone Alarm. (Yes, I've got both hardware and software firewalls. Call me paranoid :D )

14. zabusant

zabusant

Having a software firewall is logical, you're not being paranoid at all.:)
    Do you have an option of connecting directly to the modem (just to test the theory of this being a router thing)?

Not everything needs to get corrupted for this to be true and not all the pc's need to be affected. I believe there was a thread about this not too long ago, but I have yet to find it unfortunatelly:)

15. zabusant

zabusant

And let me just say this - if after a format (I assume) and a complete reinstall of windows and all the other applications, there is obviousely a very strong chance this is due to hardware.:(

Of course it could be a software issue - since you probably installed the same software (drivers in particular) after the reinstall.:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651021

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice