1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help wifi not working?????

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vernamc, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vernamc

vernamc Thread Starter

Not even sure if im in the right area tbh!! i am quite a beginner at networks etc and need some urgent help...

I am using a song vaio vgn-nis. I have a broadband connection which in turn is connected to a netgear router wgr614v5. I have a wireless signal on the computer and on my iphone and all other devices in the house but the internet will not connect. I have no clue what is wrong it just stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I tried to ring my service provider who in turn asked me to ring netgear who were no help at all and just wanted me to subscribe to some maintanence plan!!!! Oh by the way when i conect with LAN internet works fine.

Ive just started back to college and need to get online asap and pulling my hair out at this stage. As I said quite a beginner at this kind of stuff so if any one could help me I would really apprectiate it and no too technical language plz... real beginner!!!

Many thanks
    V

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I moved you to Networking from Web & Email.

Are you saying that you have internet access through the router when using ethernet but via Wi-Fi? And the wireless problem is with multiple devices that used to work?

Reset the router to factory settings and reconfigure it, but leave the wireless unsecured until you get success.

While connected by both wireless and ethernet ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1016520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice