1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help! Win 2000 doesn't recognise DVDs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sinbarambam, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinbarambam

sinbarambam Thread Starter

I have an older Vaio which I had upgraded from win 98 to win 2000. Unfortunately since then it won't recognise DVDs anymore. It does see cdroms.

I bought an external dvd player (probably silly thing to do :rolleyes:) but the same thing happened.

I tried installing various players and codec packs but nothing helped.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What happens when you insert a DVD? Does it appear in Computer?

What burning programs do you have installed and what programs load CD-ROM drivers (like Nero, Roxio, UltraIso, Daemon Tools, DVDInfo Pro, etc.)?

Codec packs can make your system unstable and cause you to lose sound completely. Install any codec only when you need it, one at a time.

3. sinbarambam

Hi Elvandil, and thanks for your reply! :)

> What happens when you insert a DVD? Does it appear in Computer?

Nope! CDroms do, but DVDs don't.

> What burning programs do you have installed and what programs load CD-ROM drivers (like Nero, Roxio, UltraIso, Daemon Tools, DVDInfo Pro, etc.)?

I don't have any burning programs installed. I'm only interested in playing back DVDs...I have gom player, vlc, and media player classic but none of them can see the DVD. I have just installed a trial version of ultraiso but that too does not see the dvds.

> Codec packs can make your system unstable and cause you to lose sound completely. Install any codec only when you need it, one at a time.

Didn't know that - thanks for the tip.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run Nero Infotool and see what media the program says that your drive supports.

5. sinbarambam

I installed infotool:

When I select the built-in drive there is an error message (actually just a red cross but no text), but it then does allow mt ot see the supported functions on the 'station' tab. Under DVD it says it supports reading of DVD -R, -RW, -ROM, and -R DL only. It does not support writing of any.

The same applies (down to the error message) to the external drive (although it does not seem to have any region limits).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice