1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!! win98 se display

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by christie37, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. christie37

christie37 Thread Starter

I need help badly....my two year old son did something to my settings (display) and Ive no clue what he did (his father was watching him grrr but didnt see what he did)...Here is the problem...
    I couldnt see top of webpage or desktop everything was way to high and fonts was way to big , colors was distorted.
    what ive done so far which was a pain and still not alright...
    I went into control panel to display and tried to fix the fonts there and the resolution (which i was using 800 x 600 true color 16 bit) the other colors just dont work right..fonts im at a lost no matter how big or small i do it still dont seem right ..it was on 1024 x 768 which wasnt right. but then i couldnt get back to 800 x 600 till i reinstall the driver for vga display. This fixed the color but not the font or size of windows. I cant get the windows (webpages) to fit the screen either they too big or to small no in between. Then whatever you do to the screen it messes up the fonts. I dont know all the technical words for this stuff so hope you could follow along. Ive tried resizing the fonts from the tool bar on the browser as well same thing either too big or too small. If anyone can understand what im saying or help me I would appreciate it..This is frustrating. thanks :(

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

This might help you.
    Turn off the computer and wait 30 seconds. Push the power button on and as soon as you see the first LOGO SCREEN (HP, DELL ect...) push and hold down on the Ctrl button until you get the START MENU. Use the arrow keys and go down to COMMAND PROMPT ONLY and press the ENTER key. It will stop at the C:\> You should then type scanreg /restore and press ENTER. It will stop at a screen with four available restore points. Use the arrow keys and go down to the first one that says STARTED next to it and press ENTER. It should restore to that date and fix your problem after restarting.
    Let use know if that works for you.

3. christie37

christie37 Thread Starter

Hi Walker,
    thanks , I will keep that info in case it happens again...Hubby fixed it while I was gone so didnt see your post till after. But, I did what you said anyways to make sure I could do it for next time and had a problem. When I held down the ctrl button like you said when I saw the logon screen it just went on like i wasnt holding it down and finished loading. So I never saw the command prompt. But will try again. Thanks for getting back to me..

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    As soon as you power on the computer, start tapping the F8 about twice a second until the black screen appears. You will see "Command Prompt" among the list. By using the arrow keys to select and highlight it, then pressing the Enter key, you can type in SCANREG /RESTORE. If you ever have to go this route, make sure NOT to use the registry copy with the oldest date.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice