1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Windows 10 won't boot after clean install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ollie111, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ollie111

ollie111 Thread Starter

I re-installed Windows 10 on my girlfriends pc and now it won't boot, it goes to a recovery screen as shown below:

[​IMG]

I installed Windows via USB with the Windows 10 media creation tool. When I got to the screen when I chose the partition, the SSD which I wanted to install Windows on had a message "windows cannot be installed on this drive" so I clicked format, but it had the same message. So I Googled this as I haven't had this issue before, and found a solution to manually wipe the drive and convert to GPT as below:

1. Open the diskpart tool:
      diskpart
    2. Identify the drive to reformat:
      list disk
    3. Select the drive, and reformat it:
      select disk <disk number>
      clean
      convert gpt
      exit
    4. Close the command prompt window.
    5. Continue the Windows Setup installation.

I followed these steps and windows installed normally, then when it went to boot I got the recovery screen.
    I have tried several solutions found from googling but nothing has worked:

Select option to repair your system instead of installing.
    Go to command prompt (in advanced options) and hit following commands to repair MBR.
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Press [y] when system asks you to accept.
    Exit

Running start-up repair didn't work either.

I've tried formatting the drive several times and re-installing windows, same issue every time.

I don't really know what to try next. Any help please? :(

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Why did you do a clean install?

3. hellot1M

hellot1M

Hey I just ran into this issue yesterday
    Not sure if we have the same issue but if she has any other hard drive in the computer or external plugged in. Unplug them. No matter what method I tried, nothing would work for my SSD unless I unplugged literally every other storage device.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

4. hellot1M

hellot1M

But once you are in and everything else is unplug. Delete every partition from you SSD. Then format then hit new then install

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

5. ollie111

ollie111 Thread Starter

We were trying to fix an fps issue with games and wanted to see if a clean install helped.

I unplugged the 2 HDD's and re-installed. Had same issue. BUT I found this setting in BIOS:

[​IMG]

"Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support" was set to disabled, so I changed it to enabled, and it worked...

Really can't believe this. Why would this setting evening exist? And why was it set to disabled? I definitely did not change anything in BIOS before or after installing windows.

I spent 5 hours trying to fix this last night when all the issue was a simple setting in BIOS to enable windows 10???!?!?!

Oh well at least it's working now :)

Thanks for help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice