1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Windows 2000 can't see CD drives anymore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bam66, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bam66

bam66 Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me. About a week ago, I encountered some viruses and deleted files via Norton AV. Afterward, my computer would no longer recognize my CD ROM (D:\ drive) OR my CD/RW (E:\ drive). Through a series of troubleshooting sessions, it appears that there are three missing files necessary for my CD drives to work, they are: C:\winnt\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys; C:\winnt\system32\drivers\redbook.sys; C:\winnt\system32\storprop.dll. I've reinstalled drivers, which says successful. My computer shows the hardware installed, but it cannot locate the D:\ and E:\ drives. I went to my office computer (same Op System) and emailed myself those three files. I then re-saved them to the problem computer, but there is no change. I went into my BIOS and changed the loading order to read the CD drive first, instead of the floppy, but it still will not load my Windows 2K disc, or even recognize either CD drive. I downloaded Everest Home (from a suggestion on another thread). It shows my CD players, but I'm not sure what to do with it, or if that program can even help me. Even though I re-saved those three files, troubleshooting still says that those same three files are the problem. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    ~B

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/304364

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice