Help - Windows 2000 server logon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lskinner

I have had trouble recently with a worm on my windows-2000 server, I spent a few hours getting rid of the little blighter, however I now have a machine that will not boot up completely.
Being paranoid I have my c partition set as Fat32 and dual-boot so I can boot onto the drive under windows-98 and poke about a bit.
What happens is the machine comes up as normal and gets to the "Preparing network connections" - then it just stops there, I've tried safe mode but that's just the same. I've had a look through microsoft's website and checked a couple of manuals to no avail. I get an error message about the application log being full and if this is the first time you've seen it etc etc and also "some services did not start" so things are coming up in the background but I cannot log onto the console.
Whatching the machine itself once it get's to this state then it pulses the hard drive about every 1.5seconds.
I may well end-up overinstalling Windows-2000 server just to fix it but I think I'm within a smidgen of getting the thing working again so it's just fustrating.
Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!
Many thanks
Liam

I'd love to hear of any solution you find. I had a similar situation with a customers Windows 2000 server and spent hours on it, not only me had a couple of other engineers look at it in case I was doing something dumb. Anyway ended up reloading it - sorry I don't have hay better news.

lskinner

Thanks - it's odd, when the servers at this point I can still use it's services, connect to the various shares etc and all is fine - just I cannot log onto the machine itself!
Help!

Sounds just like what happened to one of the engineers I was working with. Trouble was I was left to fix it :-(

The issue seemed to have coincided with a big Windows Update and getting hit by the blaster worm, nothing that should have caused the problem, but thats as much as I could find out. Rebooted after the update then just hung on the Preparing network connections screen. Looked as if it had to be something really simple so we spent a lot of time trying to fix it. In the end it woud have been quicker if we'd reinsatlled straight away rather than waste time trying to fix it.

lskinner

Hi Thin man - sound exactly like the situation I've got.
I can see a weekend re-install job coming, just as you mention it 'feels' like it's got to be something small. The network services are all ok and we are still using the machine over the network but interactive logon's don't work. I've just thought I might try terminal services as you get 1 allowed terminal services connection with w2k server - not something we normally use but you never know..

I ran into this problem the other day on my test server. I had just installed and logged a widows update. The strange thing was I couldn't log in as an administrator or with anyone with administrator rights. I could log on as a poweruser or a group with lesser rights that I had made. I tried logging into the server by remote desktop..nothing...I ended up logging in as a poweruser and using a restore point that I had created before adding he update. Needless to say but I didn't put the update on my live servers...!

lskinner

Hmm - As I mentioned the network services were ok so I left the machine running and using it's file/print server support over the network... When I checked it after about 24hours it had a normal logon page with "Windows Security, press control-alt-delete to logon" type message, so I logged on - took about 20minutes ( normally takes about 2 ) and it seems to be working ok - complained about "svhost.exe" being missing, possibly the virus that was removed. Now I'm logged on as administrator I'm loathe to log out again. I plan to wait for a quiet time, take a ghost backup ( I made c drive FAT32 ) and then firstly try installing SP4 again..
Does that sound reasonable do you think ?

Sounds good to me....I usually backup or mirror my system before I make any changes...I just seems like the MS severs are prone to problems....Kinda sucks but got to do what you have to do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online