1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP: Windows Seven 32 or 64 bit...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by camsta, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. camsta

camsta Thread Starter

Hello good people,
    I am currently running Windows Seven 32 bit on my computer, and I am led to believe that a 64 bit version would run faster, and be able to use more RAM. (Correct me if I'm wrong) My problem is the following:
    Since you can't upgrade operating system between 32 and 64 bit, I would have to do a custom installation, thus removing all files etc from my hard drive - so my question is: Do I have to buy an external hard drive, or could I just back up my files to the other partition on my hdd, then do the custom install or would that not work? What I'm trying to say is, when you do a custom install does it only install on the one partition or does it wipe out both of 'em?
    Thanks a lot for your help,
    Camsta
    PS. I also have another important question about my nvidia graphics card and drivers, but I guess that doesn't belong here...
    Thanks again

2. antech

antech Banned

Just backup your files to an external hard disk and format the windows partition and perform custom installation

3. antech

antech Banned

You can ask the NVIDIA Graphics question here

4. camsta

camsta Thread Starter

Appreciate your reply - thats the problem you see, i'm a bit low on the old money side of things at the moment so I was wondering if I could back up my files to another partition (which actually shows up as another HDD in My Computer) instead of buying an external hard drive.
    And the NVIDIA question has sorted itself out now, i just downloaded some new drivers and it all seems to be working fine =D
    Thanks,
    Camsta

5. antech

antech Banned

Sorry,sorry,sorry
    I had to say that you should backup all the data on to a parition and NOT on AN EXTERNAL DISK.
    I am always short of even 1$ so I always backup all of my data onto a different partition

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just make sure the partitions are sized or named differently so that you do not make the mistake of installing over your data.

You can use more RAM with 64-bit. How much faster performance you will see, other than with memory intensive usage, is questionable.

Do you intend to buy more RAM and are you sure you have the need?

7. camsta

camsta Thread Starter

Thanks guys for your help,
    I am now just wondering if it is really worth installing 64 bit windows 7 if the performance increase will only be marginal - what do you people think? No, I don't intend to buy more RAM, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to install it without voiding the warranty =(
    So you think there is no point in installing windows 7 64 if I only have 3gb of RAM?
    Camsta

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've not read anything that says Windows 7 64-bit provides better performance than Windows 7 32-bit. Where did you hear this from? I don't see the point of going with a 64-bit operating system on a computer with less than 4GB of RAM.

9. antech

antech Banned

10. Hughv

Hughv

"A common misconception is that 64-bit architectures are no better than 32-bit architectures unless the computer has more than 4 GB of main memory. This is not entirely true:"
    :The main disadvantage of 64-bit architectures is that relative to 32-bit architectures, the same data occupies more space in memory (due to swollen pointers and possibly other types and alignment padding). This increases the memory requirements of a given process and can have implications for efficient processor cache utilization."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

64 bit is the future, and the problems with drivers are pretty much over.

11. antech

antech Banned

The problem with Drivers are almost 90-95% over,
    but the problem with some apps still haunt x64 users

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!