1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP..wireless disappeared from my computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jononeedshelp, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jononeedshelp

jononeedshelp Thread Starter

hi, I've been using 2 or 3 different wireless connections at uni, home and in the city...no problems. Then yesterday the little wireless network icon disappeared from the bottom right of the screen. There is no wireless symbol in Network connections either and my HP Wireless Assitant only shows Bluetooth - WLAN has disappeared.

I tried removing updates from the last 3 days and reset my computer to 3 days ago but still no wireless system is showning. Any help would be much appreciated.

jono

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does your wireless adapter show in Device Manager? If not it may have become disabled in the BIOS, may have come loose, or may have failed.

3. jononeedshelp

hi,

in device manager I cant find anything like WLAN. In network adapters there is 1394 Net adapter, bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller. Its not showing under bluetooth devices either.

Can I download a wireless driver onto a different computer and install it on my laptop?

thanks

4. s.haulk

s.haulk

Sure you can. When you download the driver click save though and then select the media to save it to. However if the computer is not seeing the device this is not going to help you. The wifi card must be broken or not turned on. Look for a little switch on the wifi card. Of course if it is built in then you are in all sorts of trouble and will need to have a pc tech repair that or otherwise purchase a new wiif card for the pc. I suggest a USB wifi card cause they are easier to use and can be used on more than one pc with no problems usually.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is probably a button on top that turns the wireless on and off and you accidentally turned it off.

6. jononeedshelp

hi, the wireless switch is on the front of the laptop and turning it on was the first thing I tried! Its an internal Wifi card, is there any software I can use to test if its still there or broken? If not what does a USB wifi driver cost??

thanks

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it's not working you can get a usb wireless adapter or pcmia or pc express (depending on the type of slot you have) and it sounds like you hav ea dead wirelsss.

8. s.haulk

s.haulk

You can try driver detective but I don't think that will help you. You can also try restoring the computer back to factory defaults and this will make it like it was when you first took it out of the box. Otherwiser here is a couple of links for usb wifi cards. Your pc will automatically recognize the card and install the drivers usually but it not it should come with a drivers disk.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=31&name=Wireless-Adapters

http://www.walmart.com/browse/Computers/Networking/_/N-2pbaZ1z0gkh6?catNavId=126297&ic=48_0&path=0%3A3944&ref=125875.126118+500852.4293871530

Good luck

9. jononeedshelp

cheers for the advice, how do I reset completely and will this do any damage??

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can restore to new by tapping F10 continuously after pressing power button but I am not sure of the age of your laptop. HP has had a non destructive recovery for years which would install OS and programs but save your files and data. Be aware if it says it will wipe everything then you need to back up whatever is important before doing the recovery.

11. s.haulk

s.haulk

It depends on the maker of your pc. If it is dell when the pc first boots up during the dell splash screen you will see in the upper right hand corner to strike F2 or F12 or something like that. During that screen hold down on the control key and press F11 and release them both at the same time. If you do it correctly and the maker did partician the hard drive with a backup install then you should get a screen before it boots into windows with an option to restore to factory defaults. This has never damaged my pc other than when IE7 first came out. I had to do some real titally winking to get the browser fixed and accidently fixed it after a few slugs with the baseball bat. Since the official release of IE7 though I have not had that problem and have restored back to factory defaults many of times because I am a hacker and I occationally get a virus that my scanner won't pick up on. If it is a different maker they will have a simular command during their boot screen like holding down of F10.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Go into the BIOS (Setup) and see if your wireless is listed there and whether it is enabled or got disabled.

After unplugging the laptop and removing the battery remove the bottom cover and check to see if the wireless came loose.

If you fail to revive the wireless via the above I agree that the wireless adapter is dead. Consider whether you want to replace it (probably be my choice) or get a USB or PCMCIA/ExpressCard as Rich advises.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice