1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Help with a corrupted hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zariouhx, May 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Zariouhx

Zariouhx Thread Starter

Hi! pls help, Today I connected my hard drive to another computer, and it got corrupted, I tried to fix it using CMD prompt but it didn't work, I would love if there is a way i can fix it without losing my data, Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one has any idea if this is an internal type drive OR an external usb type drive. Post the exact drive you are using, how it is connected, etc.
    If this data is important to you, you make backups. ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail. With a current backup, it is no problem at all. Install a new drive and copy the data back.

3. Zariouhx

Zariouhx Thread Starter

Hi, thank you for replying, It's an external hard drive connected with a usb cable, but I'm not sure I understand what you said in the last part about restoring my data, when i plugged the hdd to the other computer my files disapeard, And I didn't have a backup.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since it is an external AND you still have not posted the exact external, try removing the drive from the housing and connecting as an internal drive. On older external drives, you can do this. Newer ones have different connectors. It may simply be that the usb interface has failed.
    Data you do not backup is data you do not care about.
    If you cannot disassemble the external drive, you can try plugging it into another system to see if you can access the data. If that fails, you can boot the system with a linux live usb. Very often linux will "See" a drive that windows will not.

Failing all of the above, you can ship the drive to a data recovery shop. Note this is NOT cheap. A very basic data recovery starts at $200~250 plus the cost of whatever media you want to data recovered to; ie you cannot recover to the same drive. The cost goes way up from there so be sure and get an estimate prior to having anything done.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will be OFF for a while. Good luck and I will check this later in the day.

6. Zariouhx

Zariouhx Thread Starter

Okay thank you , I'll try all the solutions you told me :)

7. Zariouhx

Zariouhx Thread Starter

I tried a data recovery software , And I actually got my files back , thank you for your help .

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome. Hopefully you will now implement a backup plan. It only takes once losing important files to make you paranoid about backups.

9. Zariouhx

Zariouhx Thread Starter

Oh yeah, Lesson learned, I'll definitely start making backups for important files, thanks

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice