1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with a detatchable USB hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thaynes13, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thaynes13

thaynes13 Thread Starter

I have a hard drive that detaches from the USB port (http://www.futureshop.ca >computers>hard drives and storage>storage) and I'm having a little trouble with it.

It worked fine with my new (2002) Windows XP computer, but I'm trying it on my old (1995) Windows 98 computer and it doesn't work the same way. It's supposed to work without drivers, but when I put it into the USB slot, it says that Windows needs to download a driver. It even looked for a driver but it couldnt find any. What do I do? Does anyone else have one of these?

tom

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Windows 2000, XP, and I believe ME have native drivers for USB storage devices. W98 does NOT have native drivers, and you do indeed need the drivers for the USB <-> IDE controller in the box. I use several of these drives here, and I installed the drivers that came with the drives for the W98 machines.

3. thaynes13

thaynes13 Thread Starter

Thanks.

Where can I get a driver so that the USB drive will work?

tom

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

We would need to know the maker/model of the drive to give that info... any identifying marks on the drive?

5. JohnWill

It should have come with the USB drive, I don't know where you'll get one now. I'd try to track down the manufacturer of the drive cabinet and check their web site.

6. thaynes13

thaynes13 Thread Starter

It's supposed to work without a driver so I don't think it came with one. If you follow the instructions to the futureshop site in the first post - there are the model, make, and specs for it.

I'll try going to their site.

tom

7. JohnWill

USB mass storage devices are NOT recognized in W98 without a driver, the support is not native in the O/S. I don't think I can say it any plainer. :confused: What part of NOT didn't you understand?

8. pronute

pronute

is this the one your talking about

K&C 128MB Universal Smart Drive

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Read the info at the bottom of the page.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...7&sku_id=0665000FS10012074&catid=&newdeptid=1

"This device does not require the download of any additional drivers and will run with the drivers contained right on the unit except on Windows 98/SE. Windows 98/SE drivers are supplied in the package (or can be found on our website) and you will need to download them the first time you use the USD."

10. JohnWill

Color me surprised. :rolleyes:

11. thaynes13

thaynes13 Thread Starter

Yeah thanks guys I got it to work. Wasn't actually my drive - I borrowed it from a friend so I didn't have the manual or any software that came with it. I went to the website printed on the drive and got it. Wasn't so hard but thanks anyways.

tom

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice