1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with a Gateway Solo 5300 - no power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by senorpablo, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senorpablo

senorpablo Thread Starter

Hey all, I have a Laptop that was working alright (besides the fact that my new battery wouldn't work).
    THe problem is this, yesterday, while working, the laptop completely shutoff. Not shutdown, just cut off power. OK, wierd I thought, so I tried booting again, nothing. I messed with the battery, unplugged, etc, tried many things. FInally 5 minutes later, I tried and it came back on. Again suddenly, the laptop cut off power again, but this time, it won't come back on.
    What is the problem?
    Also my battery has this little button that says push, next to these numbers 25, 50, 75, 100.
    I'm kind of figuring that there is some kind of short?
    THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

2. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

It could be a short.
    However:
    That laptop is somewhat outdated as well, so I doubt the unit is still in warranty.
    What does it do when the AC adapter is plugged in and power is on?
    Does it still power off?
    Does your mouse lag at all (as if the processor/memory were being over burdened)?
    What is your battery level?

If it powers back on after 5 minutes, it may be a heat issue.
    I deal with troubleshooting laptops on a daily basis.
    It could be a number of things:
    Bad battery, bad charging circuit, overheating, etc..
    What are you doing when it shuts down (i.e. does it turn off no matter what app. you're running)?

It could be that there is alot of dust/debri in the unit.
    Laptops are ALOT harder to clean out and are more finicky (for lack of a better term) than desktops.

Check your Device Manager and make sure everything is how it is supposed to be (all +'s with no other devices / no ! / no ? / no red X's.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/225240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice