1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with a very "touchy" netbook power supply port

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BigDaveinNJ, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

This is a problem I'm used to having with my cell phones but now it's also happening with my Aspire One netbook running Windows 7.

The plug/jack where my power supply connects to the computer is very "touchy". I have to play with it to get it to charge and sometimes when I do get it working within a few minutes it will disconnect.

It (seems) like the connection might not be as (tight) as it used to be but I'm not sure if that's it or not. I tried cleaning the port/jack with a Q-tip w/ some isopropyl alcohol and it still is giving me issues.

Does anyone else have this issue? Can you suggest a fix to because funds are a little tight right now and getting a new power supply is just not an option.

Thanks in advance

DAVID

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

It is quite impossible to make any really meaningful suggestion on he information you provide
    You have the Aspire of course to examine carefully the plug and socket
    All I have is what you post
    If from careful examination you cannot see what the cause is, then any advice I offer is a mere guess

The answer is this
    Usually it is the socket in the aspire, due to the connection being constantly strained
    If that is the case, any remedy is very much a make do and mend approach as the only real answer is to fit a new socket
    A job not to be tackled unless you are proficient at dismantling the Aspire and soldering.
    I presume, with respect, you are not.

If it is the plug on the power supply then you can buy one very cheaply = pre wired, just the plug and simply join the wires - twist solder and tape or if you cannot solder, push type joint and tape

If to return to the usual problem the socket = wrap a narrow piece of tape around the edge of the sleeve of the plug = half its length or so and that will make it a little more secure
    - you will have to experiment as to how much tape

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't have that problem.
    We own two Acer Aspire netbooks. One, the AO 722, was purchased in August 2011 and the other was purchased in August 2013.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have seen this on many a device. The root cause is using the device with the cord attached and it gets "yanked" and damages the socket.
    If you have a habit of using any device with the cable attached, then one needs to be very carful when moving the device.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What exact model is your netbook ?

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

I have an ACER ASPIRE ONE (NAV50).

Funny thing is, I had the exact problem about a year ago. I got another power supply and fixed the issue.

I am almost sure it's related to the connection because when I play with the plug/jack it will connect. Any movement at all and it will disconnect.

I've tried cleaning the ports and everything, to no avail.

It looks like I am gonna need another power supply. I am not very tech "saavy" so I'm not gonna attempt to splice another plug on.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

DAVID

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  8. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Do as I suggested you have nothing to lose except a piece of tape

It appears you did not read my reply as all you commented on was

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!