Help with A21M laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

twjohnson

I have had the same password for over 2 years.Starting early this morning it would not take it. Push the power button put in my 3 code letters it would show me the GO logo then right back to showing me the little patole lock logo.I called IBM they said I would have to take the laptop to a repair store ??.Is this true is not there a program that would kill the cmos password?? Help!!

Assuming the lappy isn't still under warranty. open her up and remove the cmos battery, or use the jumper (if fitted) to clear the cmos. This will set everything back to default, including the password. Look in the manual for the battery removal instructions. Might be an idea to replace it while you have it open too, as that could be the problem.

Scorp.

twjohnson

Yep... No war. I pulled the battery Don't see any jumper after pulling the battery turn on the power bottom it just gives an error saying time and date need to be set. What a headache!!. Thank you for your time .

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you access the bios setup at all? Or does the error message come immediately?

twjohnson

Can not even get into the bios it don't even read the dvd-rom drive nor the floopy.Thank You for your Time

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
This may sound silly, and I'll apologize in advance....but you don't have the keyboard cap button on, right?

Ciberblade

Retired Moderator
From IBM:
Supervisor password (BIOS password)
A supervisor password protects the system information stored in the BIOS. The user must enter the supervisor password in order to get access to the ThinkPad BIOS Setup Utility in order to change the system configuration. If the Supervisor password is forgotten there is no way to reset it to enter the BIOS configuration. Setting a supervisor password automatically sets the hard drive password.

Forgotten supervisor password
A forgotten supervisor password will prevent access to the ThinkPad BIOS setup utility. To regain access the system will need to be serviced to have the system board and hard drive replaced. Proof of purchase is required, and this repair is not covered under the warranty.
:eek: :(

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Except it doesn't sound like he forgot it.

I wonder if anyone else has access to the system and changed it? :eek:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online