1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with accessing a website...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blueyez, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blueyez

blueyez Thread Starter

I'm a member of a car club that has a message board. I practically live on this site from day to day... Since this past sunday i have not been able to access it from any one of the computers in my home (we have three, two wired one wireless to the router) The page simply loads as "cannot find server" however i know there is nothing wrong with the actual site because it is up and running on other members computers just fine. I've cleared cookies, temp files, and am currently going thru an entire clean out of my computer because of a recent virus hacking in another thread on this board. I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out what is going on or what to do to figure out what is wrong? Any help would be greatly appriciated... thanks!

2. Augie65

Augie65

Go into your wireless router setup and set the MTU to 1492. I have a Linksys wireless router and it is on the setup page. Yours may be some other page. If this doesn't help, go back and set it to the default 1500 again. Sometimes just changing it helps.

3. blueyez

blueyez Thread Starter

Well unfortunately that did not make a difference. I don't understand why it's ONLY that one website address giving me problems. Any other suggestions???

4. blueyez

blueyez Thread Starter

does anyone have any other suggestions please!!??!?!

5. jhoegl

jhoegl

go to start > run type in ipconfig /flushdns and hit the "ok" button or enter on your keyboard.
    Try the site.

if this does not work go to start >run type in cmd and hit enter or ok.
    a dos window should appear, type ping www.<nameofsite>.com or whatever it is and hit enter.
    What is the IP address that it says? Does it ping?

What is the site?

6. blueyez

blueyez Thread Starter

The first command didn't work.

no it does not ping..

the site is www.ccdsm.net

I got a response but it says...

request timed out (x4)

ping stats for Ip address
    packets: sent = 4, recived = 0, lost = 4, (100% loss)

7. jhoegl

jhoegl

http://66.197.194.69/
    Never mind, that link redirects. This must be on a hosting service that redirects to another port or what not using the same IP address.

Most likely they made a DNS change recently and it has not updated yet for your ISP.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488634

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice