1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with adding another tower...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skwat, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skwat

skwat Thread Starter

I want to know if i can add another tower to my current computer, i just want to add a tower and no monitor. In this tower i want to just put a CD RW drive and whatever it takes to run that drive (if anything is needed). also i might like to put another hard drive and other drives like a DVD ROM. if possible i might like to add more RAM (if i can use this for the computer that has the monitor attached to it.)

:confused: :confused: can i do any of this?:confused: :confused:

thanks for your help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Add another tower? I am not sure what you are asking here, but if you want a CDR in it you are going to have to add a motherboard, memory, CPU, power supply....another computer. You can have another PC without adding another monitor and keyboard by buying a KVM (Keyboard/Video/Monitor) switch and you can switch between the 2. If you just want a CDR, add it to your current computer. If your current system has enough drive bays and memory slots you can add all items you mentioned in the same PC.

3. brianF

brianF

Not really possible to add another case unit.

Your computer should be able to have 4 ide devices attached to it.
    ide devices including hard drives, cdrom's, dvd, etc
    Your computer should have multiple memory slots, are they all full

4. skwat

skwat Thread Starter

i guess that i wasn't specific enough at first but you got it. i pretty much want to add another computer without the monitor. i read about adding a switch for multiple monitors and such. my computer only has one drive bay and i think another bay for an extra hard drive. all my memory slots are taken up and it only supports up to 512 mb of RAM.

so you're saying that i have to add another motherboard, processor, and all that good stuff just to add a cdr...that sucks, that costs quite a bit. i've tried to find external cases for it but they aren't sold at any stores that i look...thats why i wanted another tower, those are cheaper and i can do more with them.

i guess that you have answered my question, so thanks for you help.

skwat

5. deuce

deuce

well... external anything may be more axpensive than the opposing internal... but it is far less than just buying a whole new computer just to use a cdr. Where do you live? If you have large retailers such as CompUSA or BestBuy, they will have external drives. Otherwise poke around at Buy.com... it is usually better to buy from an online retailer anyway, and Buy.com is good to use and has cheap prices and really good and inexpensive shipping. Stuff will usually be at your door within 24 hours...

BTW rockn... like the new avatar... :D see you finally got one after all these days...

6. slipe

slipe

They have fast SCSI external burners. You don’t need a pricey SCSI card for a burner.

You might look in the paper for an older used computer without a monitor. You don’t need a lot of computer to support a CD-ROM and burner.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice