1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with AMD k6 XP upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Methlab, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

Ok..My father should not mess with his computer. He just installed xp the wrong way w/out flashing his BIOs or formatting C:. So now I have the computer and when it loads up it says it cant find Windows.sys or a really important file like that. I believe that I should be able to flash the BIOS and format the hard drive..then install XP pro. The computer is an AMD athlon k6 3/400. the BIOS is Award version 4.51pg. I need to know where to get the right Flash upgrade for it. I also am planning on putting in a boot disc so I can format the hard drive. Does this sound right? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!!

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Why do you need to flash the BIOS? Unless there is something that is not working, you should not need to. If you do, you should let us know what Motherboard you have so we can look up the update.

3. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

I just figured Id have to flash the BIOS. If I don't that would be really nice. The computer is at my girlfriend's house. How do I tell her in laymen's terms to find out about the motherboard? Ill call her and get the info and post it here. I want to have all the right software before I go over there..since she does not have internet yet.

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

make sure you have these minimum requirements, before trying to install xp. (I recommend having more than what's required)

window xp

5. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

Thanks..I have all that with the k6..just need to get my question answered soon so I can take care of this.

6. mobo

mobo

Do yourself a favor and let the bios alone. Set the boot option to cdrom first and rebootwith the xp cdrom in the drive. Then follow the onscreen commands.

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

To get the BIOS Id. When you turn the machine on there is a long string of letters/numbers that flash up on the bottom of the screen (you can press the PAUSE key to stop it disappearing).
    Post them here and someone will look up your Motherboard and BIOS info for you (or better tell you where/how to look it up).
    Alternatively you can download AIDA32, which will zip onto a floppy or two, and run that.
    Armed with the Motherboard ID you will then be able to download the Motherboard drivers.

8. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

ok..thanks...everyone seems to think that this BIOS will be fine, so I guess I just need to throw in a boot disc and get to a c:/ and format the drive right? Is the command format c:\ ? or is there more to it then that. I did this 6 months ago and forgot what to type.

9. mobo

mobo

for xp you don't need a boot disk if its able to boot from cdrom. the formatting and partitioning are done during the installation.

10. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

really? ok..I heard you were supposed to format your entire HD before putting in a new OS like XP

11. mobo

mobo

No truth in that whatsoever my friend...

12. Methlab

Methlab Thread Starter

ok..then my newest plan will be to put in the XP disc and let it boot and reinstall it. Thanks!!

13. mobo

mobo

Post back here for any needed help then...

14. slawless

slawless

I will put in my 2 cents, its probably worth less. I agree, dont touch the BIOS unless you have to. I had Windows XP on a loptop with a K6-3+ running at 500mhz and 196 MB ram (the most it would support) it was more reliable than windows 98 but it was slow. However if you already have the software, try it.

Steve L

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice