1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Help with an external HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by delmaestro, May 25, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. delmaestro

delmaestro Thread Starter

I have a western digital external hdd. I dropped the thing and broke the casing. Honestly i dont know much about hard drives but i tried to salvage it anyway. Theres a bunch of pieces that im not using right now. All i have is the hard drive that was inside. It has the sata connector on the bottom and a spot for the power.

I bought a sata enclosure and all I had to do was slide it in but it only had the connection for the sata part. powered the enclosure on and plugged it in. Seems to be working BUT all the data is gone. It is a 1TB hard drive but it shows it has 940 gb free (not sure exactly how much space i had used on it but i thought it was more than 60 gbs) and it is showing up as empty. Is there any way to recover that data?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi, and welcome to TSG.

A drop hard enough to break the enclosure could have damaged the platters on the drive itself. I suggest downloading and installing a Western Digital Diagnostics utility to check the drive out. It might give you an idea if you can recover anything off the drive.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

A 1TB hard drive for most manufacturers is based on a 1000 bytes to a kilobyte and a 1000 kilobytes to a megabyte etc.
    whereas the computer sees the drive based on 1024 bytes to a kilobyte
    So a 1tb drive will show as 931GB approx.
    So a ITB drive as stated by the manufacturer 1TB when each kilobyte is 1000 bytes, but the computer see a kilobyte as 1024 bytes - instead of dividing by factors of 1000 (or shifting 3 decimal positions) we are shifting 10 binary positions effectively dividing by factors of 1024.

That all said as my colleague has posted is the way forward
    What confuses me a little is if the original enclosure was powered or should I say the drive in the enclosure -the drive as you say having a SPOT -not quite sure what you mean by that, but I think you mean a jack type socket and this enclosure only has a SATA connection for the drive, but you then say you powered the enclosure ON and plugged it in -

Does the enclosure connect USB or to an external SATA port
    and does the enclosure have a power supply

The best way forward if you need further help, after following the advice of my colleague is to post the exact model of the WD 1TB external you have and the make and model of the enclosure you have

4. delmaestro

delmaestro Thread Starter

It looks like the drive is working. I downloaded that program and it had pass next to it and I was able to transfer files on it. But the files from before are not there.

As for the enclosure, the HDD I have has the sata port on the bottom. right next to that there is another port that I thought was for a power supply. but when I inserted the hdd into the new enclosure, it was unused. But its working so im not too concerned with that.

I ran recuva. Nothing showed up. then I ran a deep scan. initially it said 5 days remaining so I ended it. noticed filed 000001 0000002 all the way to 16. I recovered those and they are the missing files. So I decided to run the full deep scan on my pc which is more powerful than my laptop. I have 3 hours remaining. Hopefully that's everything. Just wish I knew why it says its empty and the capacity says empty but the files are still there.

Thanks for the help guys. I really hope this works. If not, lesson learned. Ill be more careful next time

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

When you know all is OK and you do not need further help
    Mark your topic solved please - click mark solved on your opening post

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227675

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice