1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with an installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FuzionZero, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FuzionZero

FuzionZero Thread Starter

Hi there, my name is Greg. I need help with installing a game. I am trying to install a game onto my computer but the installer is an MSI (which I heard means it will force installation to the system drive) and it tries to install the game onto my system drive but there is not enough room. I was told the install will take 2gb to install and will then reduce to 1gb after completing the install, but sadly my system drive only has 300mb. I was wondering if there was a simple way to have it install to a different location(I have 3 other drives I can use with more then enough space). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Your system is not going to function very well unless you clear some space on the system drive.

Did you try the installation? You should be able to choose the location. But with only 300 MB's on your drive, there is not even enough room for temp files and you won't be able to defrag.

3. FuzionZero

Yes I have tried the installer and it tells me there isn't enough room. It attempts to install directly to the system drive. I have 3 other drives with 10gb, 30gb, and 55gb of free space which I usually use for my storage. On a side note, is there a way I can increase the size of my system drive by giving it space from one of my other drives?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The first step in the installation is for the installer to unpack all the files it contains to your temp directory. You don't have enough room even to do that, so it can't be installed anywhere. If you don't make space or get a bigger drive, the machine is going to stop running.

5. FuzionZero

Well is there a way that I could give free space from a separate hard drive to it? My system drive is only 7gb but I have 2 other hard drives both 100gb, 1 of which is partitioned in half. Can I somehow merge a partition of free space from one drive and merge that into my system drive giving it free space? This is probably my only solution as I do not have any Windows XP Installation CD or anything like that.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are these partitions all on the same drive? Where is your My Documents folder and how big is it?

The only partition you could merge into the system one is a partition that is right next to the system partition.

Can you post a picture of Disk Management?

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

7. FuzionZero

System drive is 1 single drive no partitions.

Second drive is split in 2.

Third is 1 single drive.

There is no way to merge partitions from 2 separate drives?

Is there a way to move my system files to another drive? Even if I need to completely remove all other files in order to move them I'd still be willing to do that if it came down to it.

Attached Files:

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, you can't merge and you can't move system files. What takes all the space on the D: drive? Where is My Documents and how large is it?

9. FuzionZero

My "My Documents" is located in the default position on my System drive and is only 81mb. I'm going to assume that the programs installed on it (only programs that forced installation to the system drive) take up the most space but only takes up 1.3gb. Also I just ran Disk Cleanup but that only freed up about 8mb. Is there a program or something that can let me view how much space certain files/folders are taking up?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

11. FuzionZero

I found a folder containing some old cached files from a unused profile on Mozilla Firefox. Which cleared up about 250mb. I'm at 883mb (12%) free now. But the breakdown is roughly this.

WINDOWS - 4.2gb
    Program Files - 1.3
    Docs & Settings - 900mb

But then I notice something from TreeSize. It says there are Files directly in the System Drive. Is that normal? I went to the System Drive and checked and there are no files in there.

PS: Yes I have already enabled show hidden files and folders and such if that makes a difference.

Also I have MS Word installed. I heard that it takes up a lot of space. If it would make any difference I dont mind uninstalling it.

Attached Files:

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you right-click on My Documents, Properties, you will see either a Move button or a box with the path to the files. Make a new My Docs folder on one of the other drives and use that box to move the Docs there. You will need to log off to move them (It will tell you.). That gets you about a gig. But if the game takes up 2 gb's, then the temp files may take up as much as 3 gb's, but you may be getting closer to being able to install. Word does take up a lot of space. But we may not be able to get enough space. XP needs around 3-3.5 and with the 1.3 Programs, you have almost 5, so not enough space even if all that was removed. There would be barely enough space even if it were a brand new installation. You could move your pagefile to another drive, too. And turn off hibernation if it is on and then be sure hiberfil.sys is gone.

How in the world? I would never install XP to a drive smaller than 20 GB's. You really need to get a new drive or wipe one of the others and clone XP to a larger partition.

13. FuzionZero

I managed to free up enough space to install the game. I now have 2gb freed.

Instead of making more threads I have a couple more things I need help with.

First- Whenever I boot up my computer my system32 folder opens. I've looked all over the place for solutions but none seem to help me.

Second- Is there a way I can defrag my system drive so it defrags all the files? It seems my system files are really fragmented and the Disk Defragmenter cant defrag those files.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Defrag would need to be done offline with a bootable OS. PageDefrag will defrag the page file and registry hives on boot, as well as some other system files. Many defraggers have boot-time defragging for just that purpose (IObit Smart Defrag is free, but shut off Windows defrag if you plan to use it permanently).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170086

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice