1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Automatically Creating Report in Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Robert Houdin, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robert Houdin

Robert Houdin Thread Starter

Hi

I am a beginner to Access, please go easy on me. :confused:

I am using Access 2007 on Windows XP.

I am trying to create a very :rolleyes: user-friendly database for my boss to enter expenses. I have created a simple form to enter the expenses. I have also created several queries to sort the expenses into several cost codes. My boss wants to be able to print a report periodically which includes only the expenses for a given month (for a particular cost code). Ideally, I would like to create a form where this month, and the cost code is specified and the corresponding report can be viewed.

Also, how do I set up the database so that when my boss clicks the icon on his desktop, it opens up straight into the main menu (switch board) with no "access" menus or other "distracting" buttons etc. I figured out how to add an "exit application" button to the switchboard, but when this is clicked, the database closes but Access remains open. Is there a way to simultaneously close Access? Basically I want this database to run as if it was a self-contained little program with no margin-for-error (ie my boss accidentally deleting a table or getting lost in the Access program).

Please feel free to give me advice/criticism or tips on how I can improve this database... I'm keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen as mustard to learn! (y)

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Attached Files:

2. Robert Houdin

I would like to create an "Expense Paid To" field and a table containing the names of businesses that have been paid. The user (my boss) should be able to select one of these businesses from a list box. My problem arises when an expense needs to be paid to a previously unknown business. If my boss cannot find the business in the list, I would like him to be able to quickly and easily add a business to that table (which will subsequently be available next time). The reason I want this table is so that at the end of the month he is able to produce a report/graph detailing expenses paid to each business... and I think if businesses are not selected from a list, there will be spelling errors... which will lead to data being incorrectly collated ie if my boss enters several expenses under A-mart and then enters an expense under Amart, the database will not recognise them as the same.

Please let me know if I am way off track here.

3. Robert Houdin

4. Robert Houdin

5. OBP

OBP

Robert, I will take a look at your database, but I am busy on 4 other databases at the moment.
    The first part of what you want to do is fairly straight forward and if you are a reasonably quick learner you can find everything you need by looking at a database called "Search" that I posted for someone else here -
    http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/594085-access-2000-question-write-report.html

on Post #3.

The later part in post #2 is also straight forward but involves some simple VBA.
    Have you created the Business Table, Query and Form yet?

Robert, I seem to remember your name, have we corresponded before?

SORRY, I CAN'T LOOK AT YOUR DATABASE AS I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS 2007.
    Can you convert it to Access 2000 or Access 2002?

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Hi Robert - I also don't have 2007, so if you can convert it and post it, I will take a look at it - I know OBP is busy - he is helping me with an annoying problem also! :D

7. Robert Houdin

Hi,

Sorry I did not have access to the internet over the weekend.

I have converted my database to 2000, however in the process all of the forms and queries I had created vanished :confused:

I would really appreciate if you could still look at the file (y)

My name might be familiar to you OBP because it is in fact a pseudonym... Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin was the father of modern magic :)

Cheers!

Attached Files:

8. Robert Houdin

Bumpity bump

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

Not neat, but perhaps this will help guide you.

Attached Files:

10. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    You can create a report based upon a parameter query which will prompt your boss to input what period he wants to find and for what category as well. If you PM me while I am on I will give you my e-mail address to send your database to and I will work on it.

If slurpee did this already I apologize. I cannot open up zips files at work so I got to work on pure speculation when people attach zip files.

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

Jim, we can only post databases here as zipped files, sadly. The only valid extensions are:
    7z bmp gif jpe jpeg jpg log pdf png psd rar tar tgz txt xls and zip.

12. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Aye I saw that hence me asking for him to PM me and I will work on it for him. ;)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice