1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with basic exchange server / home network question

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ankh, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ankh

Ankh Thread Starter

OK...so first of all I'm a noob to this stuff so please bear with me. Here is what I'm wondering.

I just opened an office for my new business. This office will have an always-on (cable) internet connection. We intend to have one central computer on which we do all of our production work (herein referred to as "The Office Computer"). We (my business partner and myself) will also be carrying laptops around with us (all computers will be on Vista 64). We would really like to be able to have an email server on The Office Computer that we can access on our laptops when we are away from the office. Potentially, we would also like to be able to get emails immediately from our SmartPhones (or maybe Blackberrys).

Is there a reasonable way to do this? Can a regular desktop be used as a server AND as a work station? I've read up a little bit on Microsoft Exchange Server and it seems like overkill. I also see a lot of offers from various companies to host my exchange server, but the monthly fees seem excessive.

I know there are ways that you can connect to a computer remotely, but that isn't really what I'm trying to do. It's mostly about email and perhaps some file-sharing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you can even point me in the direction of some good resource material I'm not opposed to reading it and educating myself.

Thanks in advance!!

2. pcdebol

pcdebol

You probably don't want the security headache of hosting an e-mail server locally. You can go through g-mail and one of their hosting services and set up a domain and accomplish everything you are after without the security headaches.

If you want to setup and in house mail server you need and IDS system running on your network and be able to understand what it is telling you. If you have a mail server it will get hacked and you need to know when and what to do about it.

As for the file sharing install a VPN router to get remote access to your network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice