1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Belkin Wireless Router please?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Andraxion, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andraxion

Andraxion Thread Starter

Ok well first off I always come here for help and finally I have a need to post =P

In 2003 for Christmas I got an HP Pavilion a305w PC with a Belkin wireless router and adapter. It has worked fine until recently. I noticed that I keep getting disconnected from my network and the internet. My computer tells me that I am connected still and my Belkin Wireless Utility program says I have signal... but I cannot access network resources or internet resources. If I try typing in my router setup page it times out. This happens about every 10 minutes or if I transfer a lot of data and lasts for about 7 minutes. I have almost given up using my computer because I ran a networking cable directly from the router to my computer and there was no problem but my dad wont allow me to do it again. I do not know if there is some sort of interference or if my adapter is going bad. I have reformattes my computer several times, each time reinstalling the driver I got on CD and the driver from the Belkin Website. Still it does not work. I have found that by using the Belkin Wireless Lan Monitor program and hitting Re-Scan, it will search and find the network again and lets me stay on for about 10 more mins. It is getting really annoying and no one anywhere else can seem to help me.

By the way it is a Belkin 802.11b 11Mbps adapter - model F5D6050 (discontinued)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The most common source of this problem is a 2.4Ghz cordless phone. If you have one, unplug the base station and remove the handset's battery and see if the disconnects cease.

Other wireless interference can also be in play. Any appliances or other devices that could be interfering? Any other wireless networks in range on the same or close channel?

And, yes, the router or adapter could be going bad; especially if they have been on most of the time the last 2 1/2 years.

3. Andraxion

Andraxion Thread Starter

Thanks! The only other interference that I could have going on is cell phone sgnals. But everyone else in the house can connect and stay connected fine. Also... sometimes when I turn my computer on my router kicks my system process to 99% processor usage and I have to restart. Usually I have to keep trying at least 9 times (which couldnt be good for my computer to turn on and manually turn off a lot). I knew it was my router because sometimes my computer will start fine and it will say my network cable is disconnected. So when i go to the network connections manager and disable and re-enable it locks up as well.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If there are other computers connecting wirelessly with no problems, then the router is fine.

If you are not using the ethernet, why not just leave that connection in the 'disabled' state?

5. Andraxion

Andraxion Thread Starter

im talking about my wireless network connection. it someimes says that it isnt connected and locks up

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice