1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help with broadband connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mistry00, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistry00

mistry00 Thread Starter

hi, i have a main computer in one room connected to ntl broadband with an ethernet cable. I also have a laptop in another room, without broadband. How can i get the laptop connected to broadband aswell. Please tell me exactly what i need to buy and how to fit it...i dont know much about computers, so please explain in an easy way...thanks alot

2. C0aster

C0aster

You need a router!

I don't know the specific specs of a router, but what it mainly does is 'share' a connection to the internet.

Now, if your laptop has a wireless adapter, it may determine the type of router you'd need. If it doesn't have a wireless adapter, then you could go with a normal router. Though, you may always want to pay a little more for the wireless router just incase you decide--one day--to buy a wireless adapter--assuming you don't have one.

The routers come with instructions, so there isn't a need to talk about wiring...

You can get routers at any computer store, or other 'technology' stores...I'd give you some examples, but I wouldn't want to be advertising.

Oh yeah, and if you don't happen to have a wireless adapter, you may want to look into buying another ethernet cord. Decide where to put the router, and then approximate a distance to your laptop; buy an ethernet cord to this approximated value...

But then again, if you have a wireless adapter, this ethernet cord is obsolete.

Look into a wireless adapter if you don't have one! The cash total of both the router and optional adapter is about 100$, assuming you live in Canada.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice