1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with BSOD error, windows crash at start-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parasolution, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parasolution

parasolution Thread Starter

Need help with a BSOD error that is crashing my PC. Computer hadn't been used in a few days, but it started fine. After a few hours of idle time, I started iTunes and it was syncing my iPod. During this time, I started Nero, as I was going to burn a CD. I then loaded a blank CD, once that happened, the PC crashed.

Computer boots fine and I can get past login screen. After it logs-in, the start-up items begin to load, but then it crashes and the BSOD error appears. The following is shown:

"stop 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x806FF94F, 0xB7FsDB18, 0x00000000)"

I can boot into safe mode. So far I've done the following, but it continues to crash:

1. tried system restore in safe mode, but system restore fails
    2. used msconfig and disabled all items on the "startup" tab
    3. disconnected all USB devices
    4. used Memtest, all three sticks passed
    5. ran WD diagnostics on C drive, drive passed

In safe mode, I checked the event manager, the only unusual item was an "SPTD" error. When I check on the error, it says "EventID 4 - driver detected an internal error in its data structures for."

I also checked the device mananger, the only unusual thing was a generic storage volume that was listed in the storage devices. It seems to be associated with my HP printer which as memory card slots. But I don't recall seeing a generic storage volume in Device Manager.

Any ideas on what my next step should be.

2. mj46

mj46

I am pretty sure you might have already seen this, but just in case you haven't: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827663
    If you get back into safe mode, try disabling all the non-microsoft services and see if you get anywhere. Hope this helps a little bit :eek:

3. jazz3000

jazz3000

Are you running Zone Alarm? Let us know...Jazz

4. parasolution

No, don't have zone alarm installed. No additional hardware was added in the last several days and no software updates either.

I'm wondering if the C drive is failing and making the data corrupt. 2 weeks ago, I had another start-up error, it wouldn't go past "windows is starting", just before the login screen. I had to do a repair install, as it wouldn't go into safe mode and any attempts in the recovery console didn't fix the problem.

I do have the drive backed-up to another drive, so I can just install the back-up and be up and running. But I would like to figure this problem out.

5. jazz3000

jazz3000

Are you running a SATA or IDE drive? It's obvious by the message it's a driver of some sort, and the system isn't finding it.
    I think I'd swap the drive and when I had the time I'd reformat and reinstall the OS on this one.
    It's hard to know if the HD is the issue at this point as the message can mean various things. It's associated with everything from Daemon through port issues.
    If your HD passed diagnostics and your memory passed as well, (not always a perfect reflective of what's really happening), I'd be looking at the Software and Drivers.
    Please let us know what's going on - we're interested...Jazz

6. parasolution

I installed my back-up drive and everything is up and running. I still can't figure out what went wrong.

I went into MSCONFIG and only ran "Diagnostic Starup" from the general tab. Once it rebooted, no errors occured during start-up, thus I didn't need to go into safe mode. I started enabling items, it crashed when I enabled a "theme" start-up item, so I disabled that item. I thought that was it, so I enabled all the Microsoft Services items and restarted, but then it crashed again.

So it seems I may have multiple items that are corrupt. I didn't want to deal with it anymore, so I installed the back-up drive.

7. parasolution

After I installed the back-up drive, I used Seagate tools to check the drive. I used their "Long Generic" test and it said that the drive failed, but it didn't give me any error codes, just a failure. I then ran CHKDSK and it now shows some bad sectors, which were not listed on a previous test. But when I ran WD Diagnostic tools, it didn't find any bad sectors and it passed all their tests.

What gives, I'm thinking the drive is the culprit.

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

Your instincts are probably right on target. It's more than likely dying but not quite ready to quit yet. It's one of those drives that like to test your patience. You go through all these changes to determine the problem and try to fix it and it dies just when you think you've solved the issue.
    You can always zero it out and format and install to see if that clears the bad sectors up. I think I'd be happy if the system is working and start looking for another HD to use as either Primary or backup. Glad you 're up and running. Let us know...Jazz

9. parasolution

I think I found the culprit, either a failing DVD drive or corrupt drivers to the DVD drive.

But first, I ran a series of tests on the original C drive. In short, results varied. HDTune said drive is fine, with no damaged sectors. CHKDSK shows 12kb in bad sectors. Seagate Tools shows a failure using their Long Generic Test, but passes the Short Generic Test. While it passes all WD tests.

I ran CHKDSK /r and did defrag and reinstalled the drive. Everything booted fine and no BSOD errors. I then tried to burn some DVD's in order to back-up some drive info. But the DVD drive wouldn't respond. I uninstalled the drive and reinstalled, everything seems to be working with no BSOD errors.

I'm still thinking the HD is corrupting data, thus the DVD drivers were corrupt. Time to go to Newegg for a drive.

10. jazz3000

jazz3000

Backing up any data before it goes helps a lot. A new HD never hurt anyone. LOL...Jazz

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/674904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice