Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with building a new PC

829 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I plan on buying a new PC (gaming) with a $700-800 budget. The reason is that my current PC has multiple issues like video issues, slow down, blue screen, etc. I could pay someone to figure out what exactly is the problem or post on here for more help or what have you, but I'd rather just buy a new PC.

I will be blunt, I have no idea whatsoever about what works together or what the best parts are for the budget I have. I'm coming to you guys because you have helped me before on this, quite successfully, so I trust the people here.

This is the current PC I have right now:

8GB DDR2 (I believe)
GTX 570
i5 2500k
GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

The reason I give these specs is I would appreciate it if after you create some sort of build for me, that you'd let me know how it compares to the current PC I have power wise. I need to stick to the $600-700 budget regardless, but the information would be nice to know.

I am keeping the case/hard drive/monitor/cd drive I have now.

Thanks to anyone who helps me out, I really appreciate it and I really am lost when it comes to building these things so I am very grateful to anyone who takes the time to put together something for me!

(I apologize if this is the wrong section, I just assume hardware is where you post something like this)

See less See more
#2 ·
Your current computer, spec-wise, really isn't too shabby. Are you fully set on building an entirely new PC? It could be an easy fix and/or upgrades to get what you want out of it. For your problems, you could try running a check disk on the HDD(s) and memtest86 for the RAM. Also, what's the make and model of the power supply in your current PC? I ask this for two reasons. One, it could be a/the problem that you're having. Two, you could potentially reuse it in your new build. In fact, if you do decide to go ahead a build a new PC, you could reuse several parts to help keep the build cost down. Examples are the optical drive and case, if they're decent. The hard drive depending on specs, if it's good or bad, or if you wanted to add a SDD in. You could even keep the motherboard, CPU and RAM (pretty much the entire computer right there) if they turn out to be OK.

#3 ·
Sadly I have had multiple problems with the PC and have had to replace a few parts, two motherboards, ram and GFX card at one point. Now new issues are popping up. I would like to just buy a new one from scratch as I have the money to spend and want to save another headache dealing with this PC. I updated the OP as to the parts I will be keeping, I should have put that in the OP but didn't think about that. Sorry.

#5 ·
The z68 chipset boards from gigabyte were problematic at best. This was not specific to one model of board, it was across the whole line of z68 chipset boards from gigabyte. They did try and fix them with multiple bios updates however it was really hit and miss if the update corrected the problem It seemed to be a basic design problem with how pw was managed on the board ie moffsets and VRs.

I do agree that the 2500k is still a viable processor for todays software. You would not really gain much by going with a haswell core cpu. [I wish I still had my 2500k which overclocked to 4.4gig with no problem] I gave it to my kid and wish I had it back.

I agree with amd_man; you may have a pw supply issue and or pw surge issues. Post the exact pw supply you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.