1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help with Canon XS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ckandcv, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckandcv

ckandcv Thread Starter

I just got a canon xs. I have never had anything besides a point and shoot camera. I am completelty new to this world, but wanted to get a decent camera to learn with. I already cannot figure this thing out. The first thing I wanted to do was see the quality of a photo so I take a shot on full auto indoors with the built in flash. Well, I am stuck. Every picture I take indoor with the flash does not have any blue colors. All blue appears white, gray, or green in every shot. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a filter or something that is needed? I really don't understand. Reds are very vibrant. Beige also turns out as a gray tint. Very odd. I am a little nervous because my wife bought me this camera used and I am really hoping it is not a camera problem, but user error. Any help, tips, advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Take a picture outside in normal daylight - lets eliminate the flash
    set the camera to AUTO - usually a Green setting on canons dial on the right hand side top plate of the camera

That setting should do most things automatically and see what the image looks like then

attach one of the images - you will need to save as jpg and compress a little to get the size needed to upload here

3. ckandcv

ckandcv Thread Starter

Okay, I am attaching a few pictures here. It is a little cloudy outside, but you can see the camera is not functioning properly even outdoors, but I don't know what the cause might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if it is the camera is faulty. Thank you for your help. I cannot get the photo to upload. Can you tell me what I need to do to get it uploaded please.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    it depends on how big it is - it will only upload small images here
    I have sent you a PM with my email address so you can email me

If you can take a picture on auto then i suspect its faulty - did you buy online or shop and how old

5. ckandcv

ckandcv Thread Starter

Thank you for the email. I have sent the pictures to you. My wife bought the camera for me used from an individual (actually on Craigslist). I know there is always a risk there. We should have just spent the extra cash for a new one. Could it be the sensor needs a professional cleaning? I am just not sure. Since we bought it used, there is no way to tell how old it is. I have been unable to locate a manufacture date on it. Just kind of bummed at how this experience is turning out.

Thanks for your help.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so what colour are the parking sign supposed to be

I have attached smaller versions of the images here

Attached Files:

7. ckandcv

ckandcv Thread Starter

On the picture with the parking sign, the color for the sign came out right. If you look at the building in the background, the top part is beige and the bottom is a light brown. Way off on the colors there. In the second picture, the facebook symbol should be deep blue just like on their website. If you look at the sidewalk in this picture, there is what appears to be a "purple haze" that is really not there.

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i suspect its faulty - but looking at the exif info on the image - the colour profile is set to sRGB which is a good setting and the white balance

exposure 1/60th @ f5.7 on a 55mm focal length with matrix metering is OK

whats the white balance setting - should be Auto or outdoor - thats all i can think it may be but moving towards faulty

May be a setting AWB - for auto white balance

9. paisanol69

paisanol69

just a suggestion here...

since you said you are new to using the camera, I would point out..

the camera is a used camera..it may be that the previous owner has changed some of the more "difficult to find"settings , inside of the menu program.

I don't think it would hurt, to remove the batteries from the camera for a few minutes, to allow the camera to reset back to "factory" defaults. Be sure to remove the main battery, and also the smaller battery that is there to preserve your cameras settings ( if you camera has one, since I am not familiar with the camera you have)

This way, you may be able to avoid looking for an elusive setting, that you are not sure what to set the camera at in the first place.

Good Luck!!!

10. antimoth

antimoth

Merry Christmas. I have just wrapped my gifts and have a minute or two to see what people are complaining about.

Looks like a white balance setting to me. Here's a page from the DPR review on the Canon 1000d/ Rebel XS
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/page8.asp

Press the WB button as shown in the above link, and set white balance to AWB. White balance tells the camera to adjust colors for a certain kind of light, and it must match the light you actually see. If the camera was set for tungsten light (ordinary incandescent light bulb), everything shot outside or with a flash indoors will have a bluish tinge. Been there. Done that. If it's already at AWB, something could be wrong.

You might want to read the whole review when you have time, assuming it's referencing your XS.

Hope that's your problem. Good nite.

11. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    There should be a setting in the menu to restore all settings to factory default????

Click on this link ans select the one on the top of the page showing the owners manual... http://www.google.ca/search?q=canon...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

It will open up a pdf file. Scroll down to the bottom of page 152. It will show you how to clear all custom settings. That will restore it to factory settings which will give you a chance to start from scratch.

12. paisanol69

paisanol69

..thought too, Guyzer.

I figured that if the OP was new to this type of camera, a good/easier way to get familiar with it initially, would be to reset it to factory settings.
    That would not only wipe out what a previous owner had done to customize the camera, but would help the new owner to learn where all of the basic menu settings were, and the setting of things like continuous photo numbering, day, date, time ..etc..etc which he/she would benefit from in the future!

13. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    I agree and that's why I posted the link. He may have never received the manual .... then again.......... why would anyone read a manual when you can speed things up and ask questions over the internet. ;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice